Core Temperature

Moderator: ModTeam

sebjohn
Product(s): Celsius W550

Core Temperature

Postby sebjohn » Tue Feb 14, 2017 14:43

Hi,
I have a new Celsius W550 quad core workstation. Works fine, but the core temperature is running at an average of between 70-80 degrees centigrade. Is this normal - or is one of the fans not working? Seems awfully hot to me!

Cheers,

Seb

Tom_A
Product(s): ESPRIMO Q920

Re: Core Temperature

Postby Tom_A » Tue Feb 14, 2017 15:51

Hello Seb,

The temperature depends a lot on the hardware configuration, usage and ambient temperature but in most cases an Intel quad core will usually idle below 50°C and can potentially reach the temps 70-80°C with 100% CPU usage/stress test but ideally, max temp should stay below 70°C with intensive usage.

I suggest you do a visual check that fans are turning and that the vents and/or radiators are not obstructed by dust or other elements.

sebjohn
Product(s): Celsius W550

Postby sebjohn » Wed Feb 15, 2017 14:08

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your response. Had a careful look into the machine and could see the front fan working intermittently and the power supply fan working - and I think the graphics card fan working. However, there's just a large heat sync block over the motherboard - doesn't look like there's a fan there - although there could be one under it I couldn't see.

The core temp is still running at an average of 70 degrees centigrade - and sometimes goes over 80 degrees. I'm using "Core Temp" version 1.5 to check these figures.

Regards,

Seb

Tom_A
Product(s): ESPRIMO Q920

Postby Tom_A » Wed Feb 15, 2017 14:58

I'm a bit familiar with CoreTemp and I don't think it monitors fan speeds.
I suggest you try an utility like "Speedfan" to monitor fan RPM and post a couple screenshots (one with idle usage and another while stress-testing).

If you can exclude all external factors like high ambient temperature, insufficient airflow (either caused by fans or blocked vents) or high CPU usage then the last element that can be checked is the thermal paste between the heat-sink and CPU.
That would however require some technical skills and a tube of fresh thermal paste (and it probably voids the warranty).

Return to “CELSIUS Workstations”