D756: 5 Sata ports, only power for two devices?

Moderator: ModTeam

syssifus
Product(s): Esprimo D756

D756: 5 Sata ports, only power for two devices?

Postby syssifus » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:55

Hey there,
a while ago I got a D756 for cheap off the used market and it's been serving as a homelab since, but I've noticed one peculiar fact: The mainboard (D3431-A1) has five SATA ports, but the included four-pin molex-but-not-really connector can supply about two SATA devices with external power. Why only so few? Pretty much any SATA device requires external power and I'm struggling to understand how you're even supposed to use the other ports without an external PSU. The included PSU can seemingly not be upgraded and has such a weird shape that it's practically impossible to replace with anything bog-standard.
Thanks!

(Also while I'm already here: Is it possible to disable the auto-boot-on-power feature? It doesn't boot for me and only hangs in some weird kind of limbo until it force reset it and boot it up with the power button. In case I can't disable that, is there a reason why it won't boot and a way to fix that?)

Ask Fujitsu
Product(s): n/a

Re: D756: 5 Sata ports, only power for two devices?

Postby Ask Fujitsu » Fri Apr 26, 2024 15:43

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Fujitsu Forum Support,
Please provide the serial number of the device.

Best regards,
Fujitsu Forum Support

syssifus

Postby syssifus » Sat Apr 27, 2024 17:26

well I'm a little confused why you'd need that but here it is anyway: YM4L031616 (according to dmidecode)

Edit: I just found a possible but ugly way to get more sata power into the Esprimo: You could probably replace the built-in power supply with a flex-atx model, but that would neither be very rigid nor very pretty.

Ask Fujitsu
Product(s): n/a

Postby Ask Fujitsu » Thu May 02, 2024 15:26

Hello,

Thank you very much.

In the event that more SATA ports were used, a Y-cable was installed at the factory to turn one SATA power connector into two. With the housing shape, this was actually only the case when using 2.5" drives. This cable is still available as a spare part.
Part number: 34081305

The strange behavior only occurs after a power failure (or if the device is completely disconnected from the power supply).
In this case, the computer must first check how it should behave after a power failure. To do this, it switches on briefly. If the target state is switched off, it switches off again and can then be started using the power button.
The behavior can be defined in the BIOS under POWER > Power Failure Recovery.

Best regards,
Fujitsu Forum Support

syssifus

Postby syssifus » Thu May 02, 2024 18:23

Y-cable was installed at the factory to turn one SATA power connector into two

BIOS under POWER > Power Failure Recovery

Ah thank you very much for the help!

Edit: Looking up the cable I'm seeing 30€ for a single splitter cable, which does seem quite expensive. How about a cable like this? https://www.ebay.de/itm/285825164139
It has five sata power ports at once, and even one for the disk drive. This would cover pretty much all sata ports on the mainboard, but thinking of it, five HDDs starting at the same time would be quite a power draw, and I'm a little scared of blowing a fuse or something else on the board.

Return to “ESPRIMO”