Old Esprimo E5731 and installing windows 10

Moderator: ModTeam

steveis2
Product(s): ESPRIMO E5731 E-Stars5

Old Esprimo E5731 and installing windows 10

Postby steveis2 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 21:03

Hi,
I just bought this old Esprimo E5731 E-Stars5 PC at a local weekend 'boot market' for very little money. My idea was to install linux, and indeed linux works well. The last owner had windows 7 installed. Then it occurred to me that as a test I'd try to install windows 10 and see how it performed. Unfortunately I've had no success.
Using either the windows media installtion tool or rufus to create a bootable USB stick doesn't work. Basically it seems the USB stick is not recognized and the PC continues to boot into the existing Linux installation.
Is it the case that windows 10 just won't work with this PC or could it be a BIOS setting problem, or something else. If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it.

The PC has a E7500 CPU 4Gb of ram and a 160Gb hard drive along with a DVD drive

Regards Steve

Ask Fujitsu
Product(s): n/a

Re: Old Esprimo E5731 and installing windows 10

Postby Ask Fujitsu » Wed Feb 01, 2023 14:28

Hello :)
Thank you for contacting us.

We kindly inform you that Fujitsu ESPRIMO E5731 has not ever been tested with Windows 10 and Fujitsu cannot guarantee that this system will work without any issues on the ESPRIMO E5731.

You can try to use Rufus (https://rufus.ie/en/) once again, but this time when creating bootable drive, please set the below options as follows:

a) Partition scheme: MBR
b) Target system: BIOS or UEFI

Then please re-check if the bootable drive will be visible and the installation starts. However, as mentioned above, we cannot guarantee that it will work.

Kind regards,
Forum Support Team

steveis2
Product(s): ESPRIMO E5731 E-Stars5

Re: Old Esprimo E5731 and installing windows 10

Postby steveis2 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:09

Hi,
Thank you for your reply. I have now tried RUFUS as you suggested but it's still not booting up. I also tried installing to the HDD placed inside a second PC then reinstalling the HDD in the Esprimo.That did actually work. So now it's running windows 10, but very slowly. I think if I had a high capacity DVD disk onto which to put the Win10 image and a DVD that could read it it would be possible to install windows 10 directly on to the Esprimo, but I don't have either at the moment. The WIn10 image appears to be too big for a normal 4.7Gb Writable DVD.
In the long run I think linux might be a better option for usability as it's probably going to be faster on the relatively old hardware. Still it's nice to get the machine running again.

Regards Steve

Return to “ESPRIMO”