Weird power issue with Fujitsu Esprimo Q958 and attached USB device

Moderator: ModTeam

kheldorn
Product(s): Q958

Weird power issue with Fujitsu Esprimo Q958 and attached USB device

Postby kheldorn » Fri Sep 20, 2019 13:22

So by now we are running over 1800 Fujitsu Esprimo devices and after only using devices from the P series we recently switched to the Q series because of the smaller formfactor. We started with the Q957 but a few month ago the Q958 came along. So for a few months we've been deploying the Fujitsu Esprimo Q958 devices to our users and haven't had any noteable issues of any kind with them so far. Until earlier this week.

We are replacing every device every couple of years and at the beginning of the week we replaced 60+ devices in a certain department. That department operates a number of counters where the employees interact with customers. And to protect the employees in case a customer becomes aggressive or violent that department is using an "alarm software" that comes with a USB-connected "panic button" of sorts.

Now here's the issue:
When that USB botton (V2.0 from http://usbbutton.com/) is connected to a Fujitsu Esprimo Q958 and the user wants to shut down Windows at the end of the day .. the computer simply doesn't turn off.
The computer just stays powered on, including all the USB devices connected to the same controller as that USB button. Windows is correctly shut down and the monitor turns off too. But the power button led is still on and the system fan is still running (and will rev up to 100% after a while). If the USB button is connected to the rear USB ports (just like keyboard and mouse) then keyboard and mouse as well as the USB button will also stay on (numlock is on permanently and can't be turned off, mouse led/laser is on and the USB button's led is also on). If the USB button is connected to the front USB (keyboard and mouse to the rear USB ports) then keyboard and mouse will turn off while the USB button's led will still be on.

This only happens when the USB button (V2.0 from http://usbbutton.com/) is connected to a Fujitsu Esprimo Q958. The issue does not exist with the Q957 or any other Esprimo device we are currently using, or any other brand. It also does not happen with a newer USB button from a (I assume, not sure actually) different manufacturer. That one also works with the Q958.

The only way to get the system to turn off completely at that point is to press the power button for 10 seconds.

We can't really replace all those older USB buttons with the newer model since they cost us 25€/piece from our supplier and we have somewhere between 100 and 200 of them in use. We also can't really replace all the new Q958 with older computers again, just so the users can use the old buttons.

I'd really like to figure out what's causing this issue and a way to fix the issue for good.

Specs of our Q958 devices:
  • Intel Core i5-8500T
  • 16 GB RAM
  • 256GB NVMe SSD
  • optional Bluetooth/Wifi module installed

Here's what I've tried so far:
  • Went through all the relevant sounding BIOS options, enabling/disabling them.
  • Upgraded the BIOS from the factory version to the lates available version "V5.0.0.13 - R1.21.0 (04.07.2019)"
  • Updated all system drivers
  • Tested with Windows 10 1709 (latest patchlevel) and Windows 10 1903 (latest patchlevel)
  • Enabled/Disabled hibernation and standby in Windows power settings
  • Enabled/Disabled quick start in Windows power settings
  • Enabled/Disabled "USB selective suspend" in Windows power settings
  • Enabled/Disabled "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option in device manager for the USB button devices

The only thing that "helped" so far was taping off the data pins of the USB plug of the USB button so that only the power pins were connected when pluggin the button in. Then the computer would shut down cleanly. But that obviously makes the button itself quite useless as it does no longer work.

I've also tried connecting an Apple iPad and a powerbank to the computer to charge them and then tried shutting down the computer. In both cases the shutdown was successful. So it doesn't seem to be a case of a device drawing too much power that prevents the computer to shut down properly.

Does anyone have any other ideas, anything else that I can try to make those (older) USB buttons work with the Q958 machines?

kheldorn

Re: Weird power issue with Fujitsu Esprimo Q958 and attached USB device

Postby kheldorn » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:37

Small update: When I disable "WOL" in the BIOS then the system will shut down properly. Though I have no idea what the WOL has to do with some random USB button. All other BIOS options that I've tried had no effect whatsoever.

kheldorn

Postby kheldorn » Mon Feb 10, 2020 13:00

By now we've got a solution for this issue!

On 27.01. Fujitsu released a BIOS update for the Q958 which solves "system shutdown problems with projector connected and some BIOS Setup settings."
With this update installed the system shutdown of the Q958 works even with connected USB button.

27-Jan-2020
BIOS - Change V5.0.0.13 R1.23.0 for D3613-A1x
====================================================
- Microcode updates added (Coffeelake B0/P0/R0/U0).
- New Intel(R) ME Firmware version 12.0.49.1534 implemented.
- Solved: System shutdown not working with projector connected and some BIOS Setup settings.

kheldorn

Postby kheldorn » Mon Feb 10, 2020 13:25

A complete write-up of the issue can be found on https://beingwinsysadmin.blogspot.com/2 ... l-not.html

Return to “ESPRIMO”