HELP!! Esprimo E5905 (D2164-A1) cpu support

Moderator: ModTeam

mlisec
Product(s): Esprimo E5905

HELP!! Esprimo E5905 (D2164-A1) cpu support

Postby mlisec » Thu Jun 18, 2015 19:29

Hello to everyone!

I have one question about cpu support on e5905 equipped with d2164-a1 motherboard.
First of all, nowhere on the net i couldn't find any list where i can see proper cpu support list for this mobo (yes, there isn't d2164-a1 at all).

Since this mobo has intel i945g/p chipset, i wonder is there any chance to upgrade cpu with core 2 duo e6700?
According to the intel site (http://ark.intel.com/products/27251/Int ... patibility) e6700 is supported by 945 chipset with LGA775 socket, so can anyone please tell me will core 2 duo e6700 work with d2164-a1?

I'm trying to upgrade my cpu (P4 630 3.00 GHz) with core 2 duo e6700 but there aren't any proper answers on the net. I found cheap e6700 but i can't buy it if i'm not sure about compatibility

So if there is anyone who actually know something about that please be my guest.

Thanks in advance

mlisec

Re: HELP!! Esprimo E5905 (D2164-A1) cpu support

Postby mlisec » Sun Jun 28, 2015 15:11

Come on guys!

There must be somebody on this world who actually know something for sure..

AtroposXR
Product(s): Fujitsu desktop e5720

Postby AtroposXR » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:52

Hi, I'm trying to kinda make the same thing, and I've found this: https://www.usedcomp.de/pdf/Esprimo_E-S ... enblat.pdf

I'm not sure but hope i can help you! :mrgreen:

mlisec

Postby mlisec » Mon Sep 28, 2015 21:31

Finally somebody to chit chat with :D

mlisec

Postby mlisec » Mon Sep 28, 2015 21:41

Won't help much but thanx for trying :wink:

It seems that e5905 was final version since 5915 is first one with 965 chipset.

Can't believe I couldn't find ANY specificaton of 5905 or d2164 mobo. Those two are like ghosts :(

Jujitsu

Postby Jujitsu » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:59

This would be an epic resurrection of a zombie thread, but I'd hate to leave this question hanging.

TLDR: Long story short, no Core 2 Duo is officially supported, and that P4 as scrappy it is might be very close to the best official solution (apart from some Pentium D series CPUs mentioned later). Generally no one should bother to try otherwise, don't even read any further, unless you are really interested.

Now if you are really interested, please proceed further :) Short story long an upgrade is possible, but it will take you to hell and back...

I've only registered here because I do collect old computers in my free time, and upgrade them with cheap old hardware (if possible) to give them away for charity. Recently I could have laid my hands on a piece of this type of machine and did some research on the CPU upgrade topic. I'll post what I find so it may probably be useful for other people.

Frankly I'm quite surprised that no official support personnel reached out to clarify this, since it basically would have been zero effort for them. If you know what to look for you can also easly verify this by looking at the available official BIOS updates, which mention all the CPU microcode updates in their description, and C2D is not among them. This is the description of the latest BIOS update and features the full change log:
https://support.ts.fujitsu.com/IndexDow ... 7A82340D68
One interesting thing is, that at some point the change log mentions added support for BO, B1, C1 stepping, which hints, that Pentium D CPUs with these might be supported. Further along I mention D820 as a listed and supported CPU, and based on this I think Pentium D CPUs with the correct steppings and up to 95W TDP might actually work in this board. There are some CPUs in these series that do come with 130W TDP, but I have no idea about those. (Also the top of the D 9xx line offers comparable performance to the C2Ds in question, which might save you a lot less work for best possible performance, assuming that no later Core 2 [Duo or Quad] CPU might used by performing some magic described later.)
You may check this for yourself here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_I ... processors

As for the product spec sheet goes, this is the one I could find:
ftp://ftp.webcentral.hu/pc-max/PC/Fujit ... leiras.pdf
(Now this actually lists Pentium up D820 support, which I think only became supported with a later BIOS update regarding B0 stepping I mentioned above, and might not have been supported out of the box. But nevertheless that is the best officially supported CPU I could find written proof of.)

Now you would think that the socket of the mobo is actually physically compatible with the C2D socket (LGA775), so an unofficial BIOS mod could actually do the trick. Well yes and no, and it still won't work properly, but its discussed at great length here:
https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread- ... 00-Support

If you would like you can skip to the link at the end of the discussion which would take you to a page, where a guy went on the ultimate adventure beyond BIOS mods and physically tweaked things to work:
http://www.karosium.com/2012/02/fujitsu ... -hack.html

Now TLDR2 is, that you might have to flash a BIOS from a different board, then do some pin modding on the CPU and finally do physical modification to the motherboard. All this without bricking and breaking it. Now I would say that its totally not worth it for 99.99% of people. The rest 0.01% are enthusiasts anyway :)

Return to “ESPRIMO”