[Q550] GPS not working properly

Moderator: ModTeam

Stepe
Product(s): Q550

[Q550] GPS not working properly

Postby Stepe » Wed Aug 31, 2011 21:23

Hi,

I'm really annoyed by the sierra GPS sensor :x . I only got it working successfully twice! Most of the time the AirCard GPS Monitor (R12.0.1103.3) says: "supported device could not be found/initialized" (translated from German).
Sometimes, I can get it working by reinstalling/repairing the software - sometimes -
interestingly, when I deactivate the "Sierra wireless NMEA Port" the monitor says "ready" ??? - but can't get any satellites.

Does anyone got this running properly or having same problems?

Cheers,

Stephan

JanHenning
Product(s): Stylistic Q550

Re: [Q550] GPS not working properly

Postby JanHenning » Mon Sep 19, 2011 23:35

Hi Stephan,

I have almost the same problem. My receiver works, but the driver seems unstable. Sometimes i get the "supported device could not be found/initialized", but that goes away if I turn the wireless switch off, and then on again. By that I mean the switch on the side of the tablet.

Jan

Androsearch

Postby Androsearch » Wed Oct 12, 2011 13:51

Same problem, "supported device could not be found/initialized".
I turn the wireless switch off, and then on again.
It says 'ready' but there aren't any gps acquired. And it doesn't find my position

stuartforrest
Product(s): Lifebook Q550

Postby stuartforrest » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:12

I have exactly the same problem. It worked for a bit then stopped and I cant get it working. I have tried everything including updating every driver, removing and reinstalling everything. I even tried speaking to Fujitsu support who gave me a basic checklist of things I had already tried for myself. Things like was gps turned on. Was the wireless switch turned on. I explained that it had worked but had now stopped working and I couldnt get it back on despite all my efforts. They didnt seem to have any ideas and suggested standing outside. Clearly I had tried that but the fact that it wouldnt initialise meant that was hardly likely to work.

magma

Postby magma » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:49

Hello
Can not get the gps to work I have tried everything but to have inserted the sim card charging?
I hope your help
thanks

stuartforrest
Product(s): Lifebook Q550

Postby stuartforrest » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:54

Unbelievable. Just come off the phone to Fujitsu who have said they will take it in for a repair but there will be a charge if they cant find a fault and then I rebooted it and it worked, Stupid thing is I would hardly likely call them and spend half an hour on the phone if it did work!!!

Anyway they are coming on monday to pick it up and its working for the first time in a bloody week!

Caretaker
Product(s): LIFEBOOKs

Postby Caretaker » Fri Dec 09, 2011 13:15

magma

Postby magma » Fri Dec 09, 2011 19:32

Sorry
But dont work GPS
Sim card??????

werner_q

Postby werner_q » Mon Jan 02, 2012 15:55

My GPS is working now.
I found that it is not as sensitve as we would expect from a smartphone today; most of the time it takes longer than one minute to get a fix indoors. In some buildings the sensor doesn't see any satellites at all. But generally it works. Fix outside ist fast (Hotstart in about 15 s), inside varies over a great range, depending on building structure as well.
The AirCard watcher software is .. somehow strange. I hardly use it anymore. Especially, there seems to be the need to "start" the GPS-Session and I have the feeling that the AirCard watcher is not very relieable in doing so (?).
I also didn't have to install the u-blox GPS Driver. I don't now exactly what they should be good for.
I found a "Sierra Wireless NMEA Port (COM5)" after the installation of the Sierra Drivers. I could enable this NMEA Port as "location sensor", but it didn't work. (search in Systemsteuerung for "sensor"). I was able to test the sensor successfully with some freeware gps software though(i.e. http://www.free-gps.de/).
I then found this wrapper driver http://www.turboirc.com/gps7/, which receives the data from the NMEA Port and provides in turn location information to all location sensor aware windows 7 applications.
I tested with the windows 7 weather widget, which now correctly and fully automatic determines the location of the tablet.

So in short:
1.) Be patient (a cold start can take 15 min. and longer)
2.) Get outside!
3.) If you want to use windows 7 location sensor api - try http://www.turboirc.com/gps7/
4.) Other Apps like Google Earth should be able to access the NMEA Port (COM5) directly.

Mixa_
Product(s): STYLISTIC Q550

Postby Mixa_ » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:09

Please give a link to a certified driver for a GPS for Win 7. In Q550 is defined as the MC8305. GPS was working, but after reinstalling the system work can not be achieved.

Return to “STYLISTIC Tablet PC”