N6420 Cooling Fan

Moderator: ModTeam

cpiad2008
Product(s): LIFEBOOK n6420

N6420 Cooling Fan

Postby cpiad2008 » Sat May 12, 2012 17:19

I need to replace the cooling fan on my N6420 Lifebook. Are there any instructions available on how to replace the fan? And any suggestions on where I can purchase a fan thermal paste.

cpiad2008
Product(s): LIFEBOOK n6420

Re: N6420 Cooling Fan

Postby cpiad2008 » Sat May 12, 2012 19:25

cpiad2008 wrote:I need to replace the cooling fan on my N6420 Lifebook. Are there any instructions available on how to replace the fan? And any suggestions on where I can purchase a fan thermal paste.

I solved my own problem ... and here is the procedure for anyone else with the same issue ...

Procedure for replacing (two) cooling fans on Fujitsu Lifebook N6420. This procedure was required because of fan bearing noise, indicating potential failure of the fan in the future and the noise was very annoying. I performed this procedure after about a year of bearing noise and after not finding any reliable procedure on the web. Fujitsu no longer supports the N6420.

You will need to purchase two cooling fans Toshiba Part Number S6055AM05. Be sure and purchase the ones with metal backing on one side of the fan. You can find them on eBay for about $10, but beware of what you buy. Recommend you purchase new OEM fans and not refurbished fans as they may not come with the thin metal heat transfer plate provided on the OEM fans. Some of the knock-off and refurbished fans do not include the metal backing, heat transfer shield. You will not need thermal paste.

Note: All of the other instructions on the web I found for the N6420 were incorrect and seemed to be lifted off some other notebook. I actually performed these instructions and made sure they are accurate.

Note: While you wait for the new fans …. and you must use your N6420, but want to buy yourself a little time before the fan(s) totally die … you can try this procedure at your own risk … and spray a very small amount of silicone lubricant between the fan electronics and the spindle – this area is easy to indentify if you hold one of the fans on its edge. The use high pressure air spray to blow out any grit, dust and silicone overspray – wipe each fan with a clean cloth. This little bit of lubrication and cleaning made the bearing noise go away. Both fans are spinning up … but, I ordered new fans anyway to make sure the notebook would have adequate cooling and to preclude the old fans from going bad and causing catastrophic overheating.

I tried uploading a picture ... hope it made it ..

Here is the fan R&R procedure itself:
- Shut off the notebook and disconnect all peripherals
- Remove cover to RAM (optional)
- Remove Battery
- Remove HD Cover and HD(s) (I have two – some may only have one)
- Remove 15 retaining screws
- CAREFULLY - Remove base/bottom notebook cover, take care on the side with the PCMCIA slot, USB port and sound ports
- Note orientation of the two fans so you can replace them the same way
- Now remove the two old fans (two screws)
- Install the two new fans
- Replace two screws under HDs
- Replace two screws under battery
- Reinstall the base cover - take care on the side with the PCMCIA slot, USB port and sound ports
- Replace the remaining base cover retaining screws
- Replace HD cover and its retaining screws
- Replace RAM Cover
- Make sure you have no/zero retaining screws left (all 15 screws and the HD cover screw are identical)
- Restart Notebook and get back to business
Attachments
fans.JPG
fans.JPG (1.26 MiB) Viewed 7170 times

Migush88
Product(s): Fujitsu Lifebook AH532 - 1TB, 16GB RAM, Intel i7 3,2 GHz x4, SanDisk Ready Cache 32GB.
Fujitsu Amilo Pi2530 - 320GB, 4GB RAM, Intel C2Extreme 2,8Ghz.
Fujitsu Lifebook S7110 - 250GB, 2GB RAM, Intel C2Duo 1,86 GHz.

Re: N6420 Cooling Fan

Postby Migush88 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 20:30

Hi there!.. Okey..so you need a new fan?... Visit ebay.. they have new OEM/China Copies for good prices (Have bought several of them so I know :wink:). Anyway... Locate the fan under the laptop.. then se if there is a hatch you can remove to access it directly... if not... you should remove the keyboard and unscrew some screws and remove the case to access it (If not that..the whole bottoms part must be removed). After you exposed the fan. Remove the pin contact and unscrew the holders for it or the whole heatsink (If the heatsink gets unscrewed you should replace the thermal paste!) Put the new one in and put the screws back and put the cable back and crank it up!.. And while you in there remove dust and other crap aswell...and if you can clean the fan 1 time a month or every 2 months...this will increase the life of it and improve the health of the laptop!.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Return to “LIFEBOOK”