win2k on mobile 360

All topics related to Software & Operating systems

win2k on mobile 360

Postby » Mon Oct 15, 2001 17:06

I am trying to install Win2k onto a balnk Hard drive, i can boot from the CD, it copies files to the hard drive, it reboots to a blue setup screen with the message "error in INF file line number 2xxx".<BR>(i cant remember the exact number). I cannot understand why, as the same install process is successful on another (different brand) laptop. Can any one help??

Re: win2k on mobile 360

Postby » Tue Oct 16, 2001 16:53

I found this info, but it is not completely relevant, as I am not upgrading from nt4,although I hace tried to install a few times. Can anyone tell me what the "unattended answer file" is and where to find it? <P>ref : Q210888 <P>Err Msg: Line of the Inf Is Corrupt or Invalid... <P>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The information in this article applies to: <P>Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Microsoft Windows 2000 Server -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- SYMPTOMS During an unattended upgrade from Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 2000, you may receive the following error message <P>Line nnnn of the Inf is corrupt or invalid. Setup cannot continue. where nnnn is the number of the damaged or invalid line. <P>CAUSE This problem can occur if the unattended answer file contains the following lines: <P>[OEM_ADS] Banner=""Windows 2000 Unattended Install Banner Message"" <P>RESOLUTION To work around this problem, disable the lines before running Windows 2000 Setup. To do so, open the unattended answer file using a text editor (such as Notepad), type a semicolon ( [img]/talk2/ubb-files/wink.gif[/img] at the beginning of each line, and then save and close the file. <P>I tried installing win98 and performing an upgrade, and installing win98 and performing a dual boot install. Both get the same error. The file setup and copy is done, then on the first reboot, i the "dos" style blue windows 2000 setup screen, then the error message. HELP! <P>

Return to “Software & Operating systems (archive)”