Unsigned AC97 VIA driver...

All topics related to Software & Operating systems

Unsigned AC97 VIA driver...

Postby » Sat Oct 06, 2001 11:31

Hi :-)<P>I've been having problems with my microphone (I have a T-Bird/Scaleo PC with an AVI soundcard onboard)... The sound is getting through, but the volume does not increase when I raise the appropriate levers, and the quality of recording is extremely bad... It sounds...'crooked', distorted almost. This is not a problem of the microphone, since I've tested it at other computers, and it works fine.<P>So, I wanted to download the newest sound driver, which is the one available here, on the American website (the one on the German site is a version older...). So I unpack the package, run the .exe file and things are installed (so I'm talking about the ac97 via driver, for m6vcg, version: 04/13/2001,5.12.01.3200 (wdm)).<P>Only now, when Windows ME tried to recognize the new driver, it says that the software of the driver I wish to install may not have been tested by Microsoft on a correct interaction with Windows Millennium Edition. Therefore, it is not installed...<P>1. How come that this Fujitsu-Siemens driver wasn't signed by Microsoft? The previous one (and the German one too) were...<BR>2. How can this be fixed? What should I do?<P>Thanks in advance,<P>Serendipity

Re: Unsigned AC97 VIA driver...

Postby » Sat Oct 06, 2001 12:58

on the m6vcg install the latest via-sound-driver or (better !!!) the latest sigmatel-codec driver . on your motherboard you can find a sigmatel-codec (ac97) . the via-driver is only for via-codec !<BR> <A HREF="http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/rl/servicesupport/frameset_sound.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/rl/servicesupport/frameset_sound.html</A> <BR>

Binary

Re: Unsigned AC97 VIA driver...

Postby Binary » Mon Oct 08, 2001 19:20

The above may solve the problem for now, but it is not a solution. When trying to install an unsigned driver Windows ME will seemingly refuse to install, but you should have a button that will allow you to override this behaviour. You can then instruct WinME to install/warn before installing/not install unsigned drivers. Best choose "warn before installing". The unsigned driver will now be installed in you choose to.

Return to “Software & Operating systems (archive)”