Primergy 170 - USB ports -XP

All topics related to Server Products

Primergy 170 - USB ports -XP

Postby » Fri Jul 09, 2004 13:31

I currently have NT 4 SP6 installed. I would like to be able to attach USB peripherals but NT4 does not support USB. There are 2 USB ports on the motherboard. Does anyone know whether these ports would be usable if i upgraded to XP PRO ? Would windows recognise them and allow them to be used like any normal USB port or are they only for use with a USB keyboard ?<BR>If not can anyone recommend any USB cards that i could install to provide USB connections. I assume i will have to upgrade to XP PRO to get the USB Support.

Juggernaut

Re: Primergy 170 - USB ports -XP

Postby Juggernaut » Fri Jul 09, 2004 18:31

All USB ports _should_ be fully useable under OS that support USB. I am not aware of any "USB Light" ports that only can do Keyboards.<P>What USB devices do you want to attach?

Postby » Mon Jul 12, 2004 13:21

Initially a digital camera and pda.<P>I tried tried running the latest version of Microsofts XP Advisor software but even though I am running SP6 ( High Encryption version ) it won't run and complains that i need at least NT SP5. I don't think the XP Advisor recognises this version of SP6 so cannot determine if the server is compatible.<BR>

Juggernaut

Postby Juggernaut » Mon Jul 12, 2004 21:58

Frankly, I think the chances of USB being compatible are around 99%. After all it#s almost sure that some standard USB controller is on board - Siemens did not design special controllers as far as I am aware of.

Return to “Server Products (archive)”