Array expansion on a RX300 s3

PRIMERGY, PRIMEPower

Moderator: ModTeam

fssisp
Product(s): rx300 s3

Array expansion on a RX300 s3

Postby fssisp » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:43

I have a raid-1 array with 2 disks, each disk has been replaced with a larger one and now I want to enlarge the array to use the new space, however the software does not allow me to enlarge the array.

The pictures:
1: Here we see the manual instructions (MLD) how to migrate(expand capacity) an array.
2: Type of machine and array
3: Latest raid manager software installed and the problem in view, I can’t select the new space to be added to the existing array.

Now the software is telling me it is a raid-0 while it is clearly a raid-1.

Questions;
1. Is this a bug in the software where it is seeing a raid-1 as a raid-0 and (obviously) not allowing it to be expanded
2. Or do you have to read the manual differently, ea. To expand an array you need to expand it to added disks, you cannot expand on the same disk

If 1, how do I proceed to get this bug listed and solved ?

If 2 then I need to put the old disks back and add the new disks in new slots, then expand the raid-1 from the old disks to the new disks, is this the correct procedure ?

Additionally, I did search the forums and found that I might need to go route 2, however it also mentions that this might take weeks, so what about creating a new raid-1 on the new disks and somehow transfer the raid-1 from old disks to new disks ? any ideas which software to use for that ? clonezilla liveCD ? Or could I use a windows software raid-1 between the arrays and then break off the old array when done, then re-size inside windows, would that work ? Obviously looking for a live solution, not really time to do this offline.

1: Here we see the manual instructions (MLD) how to migrate(expand capacity) an array.
naamloos1.JPG
naamloos1.JPG (206.95 KiB) Viewed 9815 times

2: Type of machine and array
naamloos2.JPG
naamloos2.JPG (151.94 KiB) Viewed 9815 times

3: Latest raid manager software installed and the problem in view, I can’t select the new space to be added to the existing array.
naamloos3.JPG
naamloos3.JPG (190.66 KiB) Viewed 9815 times

me@work
Product(s): Scaleo Pi2662, Primergy

Re: Array expansion on a RX300 s3

Postby me@work » Mon Oct 22, 2012 14:40

I would like to suggest to go route 2b:
Create a new disk group with the new two 300GB disks, initialize a RAID-1 on this disk group, then dd the complete partition data from the old group to the new one, and finally set the new Virtual Drive as Boot VD. You can use Linux live CDs for that, but do not perform this task during normal Windows runtime. Beneficial here is that the task will be finished much quicker, as OS access to the disks is switched off.

Your assumption is correct that you cannot increase the size of an existing array (this can only be done by adding physical disks, not by replacing them with bigger ones), only a VD size can be increased into free area on an existing array.

Where do you conclude that the previous two 73GB disks were run in a RAID-1? Perhaps someone recently increased the available space by migrating from the initially installed RAID-1 to a RAID-0 (which, in fact, can be done, and results in doubling the usable space, while giving up redundancy, of course).

fssisp

Postby fssisp » Mon Oct 22, 2012 19:29

me@work wrote:I would like to suggest to go route 2b:
Create a new disk group with the new two 300GB disks, initialize a RAID-1 on this disk group, then dd the complete partition data from the old group to the new one, and finally set the new Virtual Drive as Boot VD.

Ok tnx, but isn't this the same as a array rebuild on larger drives ?
ea.
VD-1 = 70gb.
VD-2 = 300gb.
Copy (dd) vd-1 to vd-2, the array size will still be the same, 70gb, or do you get the option to expand vd-2 after the copy because vd-2 was initialized as raid-1 / 300gb ? in other words if the array was created with a Y size you can copy a smaller array X onto array Y, where my concern is being able to expand X sitting on a larger Y and also 'who/what', ea. array software, bios, dd option, etc...

me@work wrote:Where do you conclude that the previous two 73GB disks were run in a RAID-1? Perhaps someone recently increased the available space by migrating from the initially installed RAID-1 to a RAID-0 (which, in fact, can be done, and results in doubling the usable space, while giving up redundancy, of course).

When you look at picture 3 you see a raid-0 definition with 2 'segment 1' disks each of 67gb and a total array size of 67gb which tells me this is a raid-1 setup and not a raid-0 as the screens would make you believe.
This conclusion is backed-up when we swapped the original 67gb disks with 300gb disks one by one and the array being rebuild twice. So it is definitely a raid-1 but the software is 'seeing' a raid-0.

me@work
Product(s): Scaleo Pi2662, Primergy

Postby me@work » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:08

... but isn't this the same as a array rebuild on larger drives ?

No, it is not. Please re-read my previous reply. And try to understand that VD and array do NOT denote the same entity. And the view of the OS is yet still another opinion. The dd will transfer the existing information to a bigger drive (just image one 73GB disk and one 300GB disk), and afterwards, the copied information can be enlarged by means of the OS.

I named my proposal 2b, because it is quite similar to your suggestion #2, with only the difference that my proposal will actually yield the desired result.

Of course, if you performed rebuilds after replacing disks, then you definitely have a redundant configuration. In a RAID0, with no doubt a rebuild would have not been possible.

You might want to check the characteristics of your VD by rather looking at the settings for the VD itself than in a task wizard. Perhaps, RAID-0 here simply denotes the VD 0-based numbering...

fssisp

Postby fssisp » Tue Oct 23, 2012 20:38

Ok clear enough, I'll give DriveImage XML a try for its "hot image" feature, if that doesn't work I'll use dd from a gparted terminal.

fssisp

Postby fssisp » Fri Nov 30, 2012 21:53

Done using clonezilla, full disk to disk copy.

Return to “Server Products”