Battery does not exists...

PRIMERGY, PRIMEPower

Moderator: ModTeam

babek

Battery does not exists...

Postby babek » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:09

rx300 s7 has raid controller on the motherboard. And there is no battery for this raid controller. When booting system says: No battery present. Actually each raid controller has own battery. But here is not. I want to know why there is no battery?

Davie
Product(s): PRIMERGY, ServerView

Re: Battery does not exists...

Postby Davie » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:16

Do you really mean on the motherboard? There are SATA/SAS ports on the motherboard but it is more usual to use a plug-in PCI RAID controller on this server

Besides, the ports on the motherboard have no cache associated with them so no battery is needed or available

The battery message is more likely to be coming from a PCI RAID card - in which case, which card?

babek

Postby babek » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:26

Davie wrote:Do you really mean on the motherboard? There are SATA/SAS ports on the motherboard but it is more usual to use a plug-in PCI RAID controller on this server

Besides, the ports on the motherboard have no cache associated with them so no battery is needed or available

The battery message is more likely to be coming from a PCI RAID card - in which case, which card?

yes. the message comes from PCI RAID card which is plugged-in to motherboard in one of the pci slots. Actually, in this case the raid controller should have a battery.

i am looking the battery which is only for raid controller.

Davie

Postby Davie » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:34

So not really onboard as you first said? :roll:

As I said, it depends which RAID card you have. If it is for example the D2616 then you need an iBBU (intelligent battery backup unit)

If the card is the D3116 then you need optional TFM and FBU (flash backup unit) - your reseller should be able to advise you

babek

Postby babek » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:41

Davie wrote:So not really onboard as you first said? :roll:

As I said, it depends which RAID card you have. If it is for example the D2616 then you need an iBBU (intelligent battery backup unit)

If the card is the D3116 then you need optional TFM and FBU (flash backup unit) - your reseller should be able to advise you

sorry it was mistake about the place of the controller.

The controler is D2616. Where i can get this iBBU. Should the reseller give it to me or myself should buy?

Davie

Postby Davie » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:44

The reseller won't give them away! You need to buy it...

me@work
Product(s): Scaleo Pi2662, Primergy

Postby me@work » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:57

Sidenote: The iBBU is optional for the D2616 as well.

The complete message that gets displayed and babek for whatever reason decided not to provide in its entirety reads:

The battery hardware is missing or malfunctioning, or the battery is unplugged. If you continue to boot the system, the battery-backed cache will not function. Please contact technical support for assistance.
Press 'D' to disable this warning (if your controller does not have a battery).

Please note that you actually can operate the controller with WB cache on even without an iBBU, but that's another option that needs resp. can to be set in SV-RAID, and it's well documented in the manual.

The decision to use the iBBU (and of course pay for it) is up to the customer.

babek

Postby babek » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:22

i see. thank you all.

Return to “Server Products”