rx300 s7 raid configure difference

PRIMERGY, PRIMEPower

Moderator: ModTeam

babek

rx300 s7 raid configure difference

Postby babek » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:39

with the server start disk i can configure raid 1,0,10,50,60 and more. but from the the system, (web bios) i can only configure raid 5,1,0,6. no other. why? what is the difference?

Davie
Product(s): PRIMERGY, ServerView

Re: rx300 s7 raid configure difference

Postby Davie » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:41

ServerStart uses ServerView RAID manager to create the levels such as 10, 50 and 60. SVRAID is much easier to use for these RAID levels than WebBIOS but they can be created with WebBIOS too

Basically, levels such as 10, 50 and 60 are what is known as "spanning-levels" - i.e. you have to create 2 or more "spans" in different disk groups - then there is the option to create 10, 50 and 60

There is some example hints here though I'd really recommend using SVRAID to do it as it is much easier (IMO)

me@work
Product(s): Scaleo Pi2662, Primergy

Postby me@work » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:46

RAID 10,50,60 are combinations of RAID sets. E.g. a RAID10 is a stripe set made up of redundant RAID1 pairs.

In WebBIOS, you can first create the redundant future stripe set members, then create the stripe set in a second step. For RAID10, WebBIOS will do this for you when put enough disks into a disk set, because Mirroring can only be set up for a pair of disks. (OK, RAID1E is a different story, but this is not important here)

Hey, come on, this is getting ridiculous. I'm not going to repeat my previous suggestion, and am outta here.

babek

Postby babek » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:14

me@work wrote:RAID 10,50,60 are combinations of RAID sets. E.g. a RAID10 is a stripe set made up of redundant RAID1 pairs.

In WebBIOS, you can first create the redundant future stripe set members, then create the stripe set in a second step. For RAID10, WebBIOS will do this for you when put enough disks into a disk set, because Mirroring can only be set up for a pair of disks. (OK, RAID1E is a different story, but this is not important here)

Hey, come on, this is getting ridiculous. I'm not going to repeat my previous suggestion, and am outta here.

Why you think that it is getting ridiculous. Maybe to help someone means that it is ridiculous? I could solve all my troubles with this server thanks to your advice.

how tried to create raid 10 with WebBIOS. And thanks to Davie for this.

As i told you that this servers are new for me and that is why i had some troubles with them. now all solved.

Return to “Server Products”