PRIMERGY, PRIMEPower

Moderator: ModTeam

joeriman
Product(s): Primergy TX150 S7

USB device on Primergy TX150 S7

Postby joeriman » Mon Aug 27, 2012 14:44

Hi all,

this is my first post on the forums.

I have a problem with connecting USB devices to a Primergy TX150 S7 and passing them through to a virtual machine.

This is what I've tried so far:

Primergy TX150 S7 with ESXi 4.1 on it.
Inside the ESXi 4.1 I've created a virtual machine, Windows 7, via the VMware Sphere Client.
I've added the USB Controller to the VM.
I connect a Fujitsu USB Mouse to the Primergy TX150 S7.
When I try to add the USB Mouse to the VM, it isn't possible because the option to add the USB Device to the VM is greyed out.

I've already tried the same with a Fujitsu USB Keyboard -> same problem.

Why do I want to make USB Passthrough work? --> right now the USB UPS isn't recognized by the VM, so I can't shut down the VM in case of power failure.

Can somebody help me please?

me@work
Product(s): Scaleo Pi2662, Primergy

Re: USB device on Primergy TX150 S7

Postby me@work » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:37

You might want to ask this question in a VMware related software forum rather that in a hardware forum, as this issue is not hardware specific...

Both mouse and keyboard belong to a hardware class (HID) that are not intended for a pass-through to a VMware VM. If you connect e.g. a USB flash disk to the Primergy, then this device will be available for pass-through into the VM (if all other prerequisites are met, of course). You might as well want to check VMware's list of supported devices for USB pass-through.

The same probably holds true for your USB-connected UPS.

That in return could be one possible explanation why everyone uses network-connected UPS devices in these environments...

If you actually hold a valid license for ESXi 4.1 (i.e. you're not using a free hypervisor license), you might want to try to install ESX 4.1 instead, because its ServiceConsole offers the possibility to install linux-type drivers for USB devices. But I can't make promises for proper operation, sorry.

Another good idea would be to get in contact with the manufacturer of the UPS...

Then, finally, you could consider trying to pass-through a USB-controller plug-in card to the VM. But this impresses other necessities, and onboard USB ports cannot be used for this purpose.

Return to “Server Products”