Primergy RX300 S3

PRIMERGY, PRIMEPower

Moderator: ModTeam

DerekCA
Product(s): Primergy RX 300 S3

Primergy RX300 S3

Postby DerekCA » Tue Jul 24, 2012 22:05

Hi - I am trying to do a native install of SBS 2003 on a Primergy RX300 S3 server. Serview Software is not an option here. However, the problem i have is when I hit F6 to install the Windows MegaRAID drivers, i get the following message:

Setup could not finde a floppy drive on your machine to load OEM drivers from floppy disk. Press ESC to cancel loading OEM drivers, Press F3 to quit setup.

I am running the latest BIOS but i cannot locate any reference to Removable Device- for installing the drivers off a USB flash drive. My only choices are CD, Floppy Drive, and Hard Drive.

To give a little background, ServerView software is not an option because i am trying to set up SBS2003 to do a "Swing Migration" from an existing SBS 2003 server. I cannot achieve this using ServerView.

Any advise would be much appreciated...

Davie
Product(s): PRIMERGY, ServerView

Re: Primergy RX300 S3

Postby Davie » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:34

Do you not have a floppy fitted on a server of that vintage?

Windows 2003 was notoriously awkward with using USB sticks as removable media for drivers - it depended very much on the type of USB stick and the way they were formatted (some were formatted to look more like external fixed disks than removable media). A different USB stick may work for the drivers

Alternatively, you could try to lay your hands on a USB floppy drive - that should work

Finally, though I don't have the exact details to hand, you could look into "slipstreaming" the drivers into your Windows media. Googling slipstreaming should give you the exact details but basically the idea is you copy the contents of your Windows CD onto a hard drive, "install" the drivers onto the hard disk image of the media then burn off a new CD. Sorry I don't have the exact details to hand but this hint may help get you going.

I'd say a USB floppy was probably your best bet though

DerekCA
Product(s): Primergy RX 300 S3

Re: Primergy RX300 S3

Postby DerekCA » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:46

Hi Davie - Thanks very much for your prompt reply and suggestions. I have been experimenting with a free application called nLite http://www.nliteos.com/ which, based on reviews and application documentation, should do the slipstreaming. I will post results soon...fingers crossed...!

Return to “Server Products”