Econel 200 RAID1 data inconsistent

PRIMERGY, PRIMEPower

Moderator: ModTeam

klw

Econel 200 RAID1 data inconsistent

Postby klw » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:17

Hi there!

I am running a Primergy Econel 200 with 2 HDDs in RAID1. I created this RAID 1 with the LSI embedded utility of the RAID-Controller and installed Windows 2003 Server. The problem is, when I do a consistence check I get the message data is inconsistent. What is this about? What does ist mean in detail? What should I do now?

Thanx for your help!

me@work
Product(s): Scaleo Pi2662, Primergy

Postby me@work » Wed Feb 07, 2007 14:07

The consistency check on a RAID1 system simply compares the contents of the two mirrored partner disks, which normally should be identical (well, it's a mirror...).
Since one cannot determine beforehand whether the RAID inconsistency exists in a yet unused area of the disks, the best option is to install new, from scratch.
Should you declare the data you read from the disks right now to be ok, you could set one of the disks to failed, then perform a rebuild. This will copy all data from the remaining disk to the 'failed' one. After that process, you should start another concistency check. If this fails again, then there's probably something wrong with the hardware.
Please note that you should not start any OS in this process sequence!

klw

Re:

Postby klw » Wed Feb 07, 2007 19:27

first of all thank you for your answer!

me@work wrote:Should you declare the data you read from the disks right now to be ok, you could set one of the disks to failed, then perform a rebuild. This will copy all data from the remaining disk to the 'failed' one.

this sounds good, but how can I check if the data on the disks are okay? is there any tool?
and second question, are you sure that one can set a drive to failed on a LSI RAID utility?

me@work
Product(s): Scaleo Pi2662, Primergy

Postby me@work » Thu Feb 08, 2007 14:40

To the first question:
Well, actually, you can't. And there's no tool that I know of. That's why I proposed the first solution (install from scratch) as the one to be used if you want to be able to rely on the data.

To the second one:
I'm pretty sure that it can be done:
Enter the LSI utility during boot via Ctrl-M, select Objects, then Physical Drive, next the drive from the list, and in its properties there's a selction Force Offline. This marks the disk as failed, and the controller will not continue to use it.

Return to “Server Products”