Startup problem, need advice from someone with a brain

Moderator: ModTeam

alexace

Startup problem, need advice from someone with a brain

Postby alexace » Sun Oct 01, 2006 19:37

This problem started after I installed a new heatsink and fan (artic cooling) which work perfectly well. Basically when I start the computer everythings fine until after the windows loading screen, the screen goes black and then hangs. When it hangs I can barely see the windows xp loading screen, but It will not load to the desktop. I thought it could have something to do with q-fan in the bios so I turned it off but to no avail.
After I restart the pc I get the message that windows did not startup/shutdown properly and get the options to start in safe mode or start normally etc. When I choose to start normally windows starts with no problems.
I know this isn't a huge problem but it sure is very irritating if anyone has any advice for me, very grateful I would be.
Thanks

DJ2liveUK

Postby DJ2liveUK » Mon Oct 02, 2006 16:31

Have you checked the eventlog to see if there are any issues show there?
It may be a driver conflict issue. Have you changed anything else on the motherboard?

TheGrimReaper

Postby TheGrimReaper » Mon Oct 02, 2006 20:18

I used to get this problem all the time on my Scaleo T which due to its poor design suffers from lots of overheating issues. The graphics card was the problem on my Scaleo (Geforce nVidia FX-5500). Although passively cooled it still got way to hot and caused problems like the ones you have mentioned. I have resolved my issues by keeping the side of the pc off and adding a second cooling fan directly over the graphics card.

bubblegum
Product(s): Scaleo T: Esprimo D9510 (work):Scaleo P

Postby bubblegum » Mon Oct 09, 2006 17:59

Try run sfc /scannow. Put the restore/windows disk in the drive. It will then copy the original system files to the hard disk.

alexace

Postby alexace » Mon Oct 09, 2006 23:51

Its alright I have now sorted the problem out it was my faulty NEC RW drive. It must of been an overheating issue becuase before it screwed up it was getting rather hot. I had disabled it in device manager but it was still causing me problems so after removing it my problem has disappeared and my boot up time is now about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Thank you to everyone for your advice.

p.s. can anyone recommend a decent dvd re writer drive that would be under £30

Return to “General topics”