Cdrom Controller Error

Moderator: ModTeam

Mike_26

Cdrom Controller Error

Postby Mike_26 » Wed May 17, 2006 22:04

Hi. I've recently (for about 2 weeks) been experiencing lock ups for about a minute each, and sometimes my DVD-RAM isn't detected in the BIOS, or when it is it's detected as a FEC_ND-4550A when actually it's a NEC ND-4550A :? which is a bit strange.

When I get lockups, I get error messages in my Event Log which say:
Source: cdrom. Error: The driver detected a controller error on DeviceCdRom0.

I've treid everything, new drivers, unistalling NEC DVD-RAM drive from Device Manager, and i've repaired Windows XP as well, which I think has made the problem slightly better. I e-mailed nVidia and they said that there were no reported problems using an Acer A8N-E motherboard, and as mines just the Fujitsu-Siemens: Acer A8NE-FM motherboard it shouldn't be any different should it? I'm at a loss at what to do now, so I think i'm going to send it in for repair as it's still in warranty. But I don't know if it's a hardware or software problem, as sometimes it's detected in BIOS, sometimes it's not, but it's mostly detected as a FEC which is very strange.

Hope you can help.
Thanks

Uncle Delph

Postby Uncle Delph » Thu May 18, 2006 8:18

It sounds like it could be either a BIOS issue or a hardware defect.. just strange that you've only witnessed the problem since recently.

I would've tried to remove all cables from the actual DVD hardware inside the computer and see if you can boot up then.
Once you have been able to boot up without any lock-up issues; try to reconnect the hardware again and see what happens...... computers just work in mysterious ways sometimes :x

Mike_26

Postby Mike_26 » Thu May 18, 2006 17:19

Thanks very much for your quick reply. I don't particulary want to open up the case and start messing around as that will void my warranty, but It's probably a cable issue, although it only happens sometimes which is strange.
Anyway, BIOS keeps on freezing after it detects the NEC drive as FEC, so I disabled it, after waiting about 5 minutes for the BIOS menu to load. So then the computer booted up fine, with no error messages, but the DVD-RAM drive is still showing up in Windows. I can still use the drive as I normally can. Is this the resolution to the problem? Why should It show up even though I've disabled it (Told the computer not to detect Secondary Master) ?

Thanks very much for your help.
Mike

Mike_26

Postby Mike_26 » Fri May 19, 2006 16:50

Thought I'd fixed it, but today got a load of errors in Event Viewer. I enabled my CD-ROM drive in the BIOS again and it worked for a while fine, but now it's still freezing

Thanks
Mike

Uncle Delph

Postby Uncle Delph » Tue May 23, 2006 7:58

I suggest you grab a hammer and enter demolish mode ;)

Mike_26

Postby Mike_26 » Tue May 23, 2006 17:05

Lol thanks, but I think i'd rather send it back and let them fix it :) . Grr I've even disabled my CD-ROM drive in the BIOS and it's still showing up. Oh well, hopefully they should be able to fix it.

Thanks
Mike

flintstone

Postby flintstone » Mon Jun 05, 2006 13:36

I've got a new Scenic X102 and I've got a problem that is sort of similar. I tried to add a slave hard disk to the primary IDE. The BIOS will not recognise it at all - I've tried cable select, master/slave and swapped the cable. When the slave drive is configured as a master by itself on the cable (with the true master disconnected) it is recognised just fine and Seagate diagnostics say the controller and disk are OK.

However, Windows always recognises the drive when its attached to the IDE as slave - except that because the BIOS isn't picking it up, I have to Add New Device at every boot up. I am sure this is a BIOS issue, but can't find any similar posts on the forum.

Mike_26

Postby Mike_26 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 19:11

It's probably a controller problem on the motherboard, as it was with mine. Fujitsu-Siemens sent out an engineer to replace my motherboard, and now it works fine.

Hope that helps.
Mike

Return to “General topics”