Voltage on DIMM slots...

Moderator: ModTeam

x3m

Voltage on DIMM slots...

Postby x3m » Mon Nov 06, 2006 0:55

I've been reading my motherboard manual for GA-7VAXFS concerning RAM, on page 5 in the manual I can read that I am only able to install RAM that uses a voltage of 2.5V this was explicit written with caps "ONLY 2.5V", now for my question, is there anyway I can change this? I am thinking, updating the bios or..?

If not, what will actually happend if I install RAM that needs 2.55V? or 2.6V for that matter?

The problem is that I wish to use RAM that has a higher cas latency than 2.5 but it seems that I am not able to do so unless I can somehow get more voltage fo the DIMM slots.. :(

Model Name : GA-7VAXFS
M/B Rev : 1.0
BIOS Ver : F7

x3m

Postby x3m » Wed Nov 08, 2006 14:14

Since nobody seems to be able to answer my quation I contacted Fujitsu-Siemens personally on the phone, and I must say it was a rather dissapointing answer, first of all they where not able to help me because my computer was more than 2 years old (it was out of support) WTF!? second when I asked my question anyway I was told that the technician didn't know anything about this... why is he employed there then?

So much for Fujitsu-Siemens support and customer care...

Just wanted to let ya all know.. this is the last time I have ever done business with fujitsu-siemens, normally computer companies do what ever they can to solve the problem, but not fujitsu-siemens!

I asked the mainboard manufacturer the same question and even though they have no obligations regarding this computer they did their best to answer my question, now thats good support and qustomer care! :D

(this post will probobly be deleted. (if the moderators ever take a look inside this forum, they are newer on and they have an average posting of something like 0,17%) Geeeeez... :roll:

Birgit
Product(s): Amilo Mini , LIFEBOOK P7230, ESPRIMO Mobile X9526, CELSIUS H230, SCENICVIEW P22

Postby Birgit » Thu Nov 09, 2006 18:12

Thank you for your enquiry. The mainboard GA-7VAXFS supports DDR266 and DDR333 Memory modules.
The standardized operating voltage for these modules is 2.5V.
Every other voltage like 2.55V, 2.6V or higher are not conform to the standards which are defined by the JEDEC for DDR200 till DDR333.

Please keep in mind that not every costumer who buys a complete computer system is well known with settings which allow to use computer parts outside the specifications. Whenever such costumer changes the operating voltage of standard DDR modules to 2.7V he would not understand why damages which are caused by this setting are not covered by warranty. That is the reasons why a mainboard which is used in a FSC computers has not got functions which are necessary for over clocking or the like. We beg for your understanding, because we are unfortunately not able to give you another answer.

Birgit

x3m

Re:

Postby x3m » Tue Nov 14, 2006 16:26

Birgit wrote:Thank you for your enquiry. The mainboard GA-7VAXFS supports DDR266 and DDR333 Memory modules.
The standardized operating voltage for these modules is 2.5V.
Every other voltage like 2.55V, 2.6V or higher are not conform to the standards which are defined by the JEDEC for DDR200 till DDR333.

Please keep in mind that not every costumer who buys a complete computer system is well known with settings which allow to use computer parts outside the specifications. Whenever such costumer changes the operating voltage of standard DDR modules to 2.7V he would not understand why damages which are caused by this setting are not covered by warranty. That is the reasons why a mainboard which is used in a FSC computers has not got functions which are necessary for over clocking or the like. We beg for your understanding, because we are unfortunately not able to give you another answer.

Birgit

So you actually don't know what would happend, or if I am, at all able to install RAM that needs more voltage than the standard 2.5V?

I can inform you that I am currently running Kingston HyperX RAM (CL 2)
that needs 2.6V, they seem to run just fine and they are a lot faster than my old ram.

Fujitsu-Siemens could choose to make a BIOS that enables the overclocking capabillities by informing the customer that if the component is overclocked it is no longer covered by any warrenty (most of us know this allready :P )

It's rather sad to have a fujitsu-siemens computer with a AMD Athlon XP2800+ Barthon CPU and not being able to overclock it, this CPU is ment to be overclocked, it has some of the best overclocking capabillities ever (besides the mobile version)

Anyway, thanks for your answer, nothing else to do than buy a new mobo.

Return to “Mainboards”