Screen makes noise and flickers

Moderator: ModTeam

hardcastle1

Screen makes noise and flickers

Postby hardcastle1 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 14:08

Hey, I'm not exactly a techno boff, so you'll have to excuse my lack of understanding on the matter. Recently, well today in fact, for the first time upon turning the Laptop on, a flickering noise as aswell the screen flickering and stutterings occured, now it's not a constant matter, it'll happen and then stop and then not do it for five minutes and then flicker again ( it just did it then)

Anyway, it doesn't sound or look too healthy and was wondering if there was anything I personally could do about it before having to send it away to be repaired?

Driver downloads etc

Thanks in advance,

Hardcastle :)

hardcastle1

Postby hardcastle1 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 14:18

Just realised this may be related : Basically it started today, approx 20 minutes ago, at the same time Windows vista started to download updates to improve my security and Performance, may these updates be related?

Or is the issue more hardware related than Software?

tenchiten
Product(s): Frankenputers

Postby tenchiten » Wed Feb 13, 2008 19:22

When you say flickering and stuttering do you mean the screen flickers from light to dark, or that the image on the screen remains at the same level of brightness but becomes un-stable ?

Also how long have you had the machine ?
Learning all the time.

hardcastle1

Re:

Postby hardcastle1 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 22:03

tenchiten wrote:When you say flickering and stuttering do you mean the screen flickers from light to dark, or that the image on the screen remains at the same level of brightness but becomes un-stable ?

Also how long have you had the machine ?

Had the laptop about 6 months, now and it gets a lil darker.

It hadn't done it once since my post on this thread earlier, until about 2 mins ago.

I read somewhere that it might be the lcd light burning out or something?

tenchiten

Postby tenchiten » Wed Feb 13, 2008 22:39

From what you describe it sounds like a fault with the fluorescent backlights, probably a fault on the FL inverter board (this fault seems to be cropping up quite a bit recently on the forum).

Difficult to provide a conclusive answer without the machine in front of me but my advice would be to put a call through to Fujitsu Siemens and make a claim on your warranty.
Learning all the time.

hardcastle1

Re:

Postby hardcastle1 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 22:47

tenchiten wrote:From what you describe it sounds like a fault with the fluorescent backlights, probably a fault on the FL inverter board (this fault seems to be cropping up quite a bit recently on the forum).

Difficult to provide a conclusive answer without the machine in front of me but my advice would be to put a call through to Fujitsu Siemens and make a claim on your warranty.

Yeah, I'm going to do that as I know jack about laptops in general.

Although, this next bit I found rather interesting:

Basically, the screen started flickering and getting darker moments ago and in desperation i pulled the screen back so it was level with the keboard - 180 degrees rather 90 odd degrees and the flickering stopped..

It's odd.

Do you know how long it'll take to send off and be repaired etc,bullpark figure?

tenchiten

Postby tenchiten » Thu Feb 14, 2008 0:46

i pulled the screen back so it was level with the keboard - 180 degrees rather 90 odd degrees and the flickering stopped.

Now...that may be a loose/faulty connection on the ribbon cable from the screen to the mobo.

Anyway it would still be a hardware fault.

Regarding turnaround at FS, I have seen examples of one week to over a month (and still waiting in one case), so I won't commit myself on that one.
Learning all the time.

hardcastle1

Re:

Postby hardcastle1 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:11

tenchiten wrote:
i pulled the screen back so it was level with the keboard - 180 degrees rather 90 odd degrees and the flickering stopped.

Now...that may be a loose/faulty connection on the ribbon cable from the screen to the mobo.

Anyway it would still be a hardware fault.

Regarding turnaround at FS, I have seen examples of one week to over a month (and still waiting in one case), so I won't commit myself on that one.

ah, fair enough.

Well, the laptop battery recently packed in, well either that or theres an issue with the cable or something, but considering it's practically always plugged into the mains for use, i'm guessing it's a battery issue, so i'll ring the help desk tomorrow and get it sent away asap to kill two birds with one stone.

Thanks for all your help mate :)

tenchiten

Postby tenchiten » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:20

No worries....let me know what the outcome is.
Learning all the time.

hardcastle1

Re:

Postby hardcastle1 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:08

tenchiten wrote:No worries....let me know what the outcome is.

Will do mate.

I'm almost tempted to leave it be for the time being, cause as I said, it's sporadic at best.

However, in my experience with Computing, generally these things that start out as sporadic in occurance generally become ever more frequent, so I might as well get it out of the way now to save me even more hassle in a couple of weeks/months time.

Anyways, yeah i'll hopefully not be posting on here for a while and my next post will be something along the lines of

'How useful are those folks at Fijitsu Siemens' :wink: :)

Thanks mate.

Return to “General topics”