Re-installing Windows XP from recovery DVD?

Moderator: ModTeam

barryb001

Re-installing Windows XP from recovery DVD?

Postby barryb001 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:17

Hi,

I've had ongoing problems for over a month, with windows XP. It started with windows deciding that my copy of windows was invalid. Between Fuji and I ,we couldn't figure out why. I've done a recovery of Windows and at the 2nd attempt windows shut up about my windows being invalid. But now I get a generic windows service32 error message at random points. After I get this message, Windows grinds to a halt. I've looked through the internet and even tried installing a hotfix from windows but it's a generic error message so I don't think I stand much of a chance.

I've tried to avoid this for as long as possible because I use my laptop for a living and will loose half a day's billing time to re-install everything I have, but...

Does anybody know whether I can use the recovery DVD that came with the laptop to re-install (rather than recover) Windows? where to I obtain my registration key?

If I can't use the recovery CD, has anybody (succesfully) installed linux on an Amilo1630? I'm sick of Microsoft.

Barry

Mariner

Postby Mariner » Sat Mar 24, 2007 19:46

It's a cold fact that with Windows you have to, every now and then, do a "FORMAT C:" and reinstall, to keep it alive. That is also the reason why you have to take copies on CD of your files as often as you possibly can. You just simply can not trust on Windows.

The reinstall goes simply as follows:
1. Take copies of your important files (if possible).
2. Give finger to Bill Gates and format your hard drive.
3. Insert the recovery DVD and restart your computer.

You do not have to worry about the registration and stuff, because it will still be available on the HDD. (Remember, you just did a format, not an erase of the HDD.)

And finally by the way, it doesn't take half a day to reinstall everything, it takes all day + all night.

Return to “General topics”