Centrino Duo & WinXP Home?

Moderator: ModTeam

Ramor

Centrino Duo & WinXP Home?

Postby Ramor » Mon May 22, 2006 12:10

Does anybody have any experience about dual core processor systems under Windows XP Home?
I read about it at Microsoft ?Product Info?, and in the comparison between Pro and Home Edition they mentioned the difference in multi processor handling.
I found very annoying to see my 3D Studio 8 not to use both of the CPUs in Editor for e.g. Morph computing (~80% for CPU 1 and ~20% for CPU 2, in general 50% of the full computing potential), while it uses them alright in Rendering. And the same goes for LightWave 8.
Am I dumb and missed something or it is the way it should work?
Or a WinXP Pro should help to utilize my lost processor perfomance?

Stick

Postby Stick » Mon May 22, 2006 12:34

it should be handled exactly the same way. the difference between home and pro is more on the networking and internet server side, while the kernel is the same.
the 80-20 happens probably because that how the software is designed to use the dual cores. the OS doesn't have anything to do with that part.
FJS Amilo M3438G, PM 760 (2,0 GHz), 2 x 1GB Kingston DDR2 533 MHz, 2x100 GB FJ S-ATA in RAID-0 config, GF Go6800 (3812 in 3dmark05)

Ramor

Re:

Postby Ramor » Mon May 22, 2006 15:51

Thank you for your fast reaction :D

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home ... sing2.mspx

I found in this page that thing about different processor handling. It doesn't clear, what is "Scalable processor support – up to two-way multi-processor support." :shock:
In the TaskManager I see, it can handle both of them (it has two graph windows for them), but I can hardly imagine that somebody writes a software this level, utilizes the multi-proc. possibilities for rendering, but not for the modeling/design environment. And 2 main rendering software at a venture??? But I didn't tried Maya yet, it's true :D
And the 3D Studio's Help writes something about DirectX mode,too "there is no multi-processor Windows NT support". It's not Windows NT, OpenGL and Software mode does the same (in Max) :cry:, so probably you are right...

Return to “General topics”