Need help with OS re-install

Moderator: ModTeam

BretMan
Product(s): Fujitsu Stylistic ST5020D

Need help with OS re-install

Postby BretMan » Wed Mar 17, 2010 13:04

Hello,
To make a long story short, the only way to correct a certain software issue I was having is to just re-install the OS and everything else.

I have a USB keyboard, a USB mouse and the tablet PC Pen. Everything goes fine with the reinstall process until I get the window that asks to Agree to accept the XP Pro license. That window requires filling out one of the dots and then Enter. The problem is that up to that point the mouse and pen don't work on the screen and the keyboard is only good for Enter or selecting one of the F key selections when this is asked for. That dot to Accept the license normally would be filled in first with the mouse or pen but up to that point those drivers aren't installed and can't be until after the OS is installed - so I'm completely stuck! The only motion on that page is the blinking prompt in the text section where the license is stated but it won't move in any direction, much less move out of that section and into the Accept dot.

This must be a normal situation with any tablet (slate) PC like mine so there must be a special order or steps for a reinstall that's different from a regular PC. Please help.

Many thanks.
Bret

Fujitsu Stylistic ST5020D

BretMan
Product(s): Fujitsu Stylistic ST5020D

Re: Need help with OS re-install

Postby BretMan » Thu Nov 11, 2010 23:56

After a lot of time and frustration I finally succeeded with the re-install.

I've learned a problem with tablets is that since the screen is interactive and for it to be interactive, it needs special drivers just like a mouse or keyboard but they don't engage until after boot mode. What happened to me was these drivers became corrupted and so after the bootup stage there was no way to instruct or trouble shoot the PC. My mistake was not to have backed the PC up sooner, even though I hadn't used it and collected any user data with it yet. Still all my programs were installed and re-installing everything was time consuming. I also learned Windows Restore doesn't save your drivers.

I highly recommend getting Double Driver, which is a free utility that backs up just your drivers to wherever you want and restores them whenever you need to. Other than that, I had to buy a fresh OS from Fujitsu and install it after a disc wipe. After a year of torment, it's working!

Lastly, Fujitsu's tech support was suprisingly good - patient, friendly and didn't pass me on to the next guy - plus they didn't charge me anything even though my warranty had expired long ago on this used Stylistic ST5020D. My only gripe is they have a "policy" to only overnight ship the OS. Shipping ground could have saved me $15 but I guess all things considered, it could have been worse.
Bret

Fujitsu Stylistic ST5020D

Return to “STYLISTIC Tablet PC”