[R550] Does not boot with NVidia GF100 based graphics cards

Moderator: ModTeam

IMP_Erlangen
Product(s): Celsius R550 Workstation

[R550] Does not boot with NVidia GF100 based graphics cards

Postby IMP_Erlangen » Fri Oct 22, 2010 16:27

Hello all,

several Celsius R550 Workstations are in use at our institute, partly for GPU accelerated computing. Thus, we changed the standard NVidia Quadro Graphic cards in some of the R550 for high end graphics processing cards supporting CUDA. This did not make any problems until we tried graphics cards based on the new NVIDIA GF100 chip, used on Nvidia Geforce GTX 480, GTX 470 (both of which we have tested) and GTX 465 (not tested yet) cards.

We updated the Tyan D2569 mainboard to the newest available firmware on the FSC support website (which is v1.06), but still, when using these graphics cards, the system does not even get beyond the Bios Quick Boot LOGO. That means it is not even possible to access the bios itself, the system just hangs at first image displayed. We tested both cards on one of our rare R570 workstations, where the system booted flawlessly.

I already tried to acquire a newer version of the Tyan mainboard bios on their website, especially since there are already fixes for non working graphics cards in the version history of the available bioses. However, Tyan does not even list this mainboard on their website.

Any suggestions of how to solve this issue are very welcome.

Tristan Nowak
Institute for Medical Physics
Erlangen

standy
Product(s): Fujitsu Siemens Workstations and Laptops

Re: [R550] Does not boot with NVidia GF100 based graphics ca

Postby standy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:37

Hi Tristan,

we have the same problem. We replaced Nvidia QaudroFX 3400 with Nvidia Geforce GTX 470 in Celsius R640 and system stopped before Bios in Fujitsu Siemens Logo Screen.
I tried latest available bios update 1.09 from 2008y (pretty old) but graphic card doesn`t work. In the similar Celsius R630 we have no problem. GTX470 works perfectly.
I`m testing solution with origin graphic card as a primary graphic card and GTX 470 as secondary card. It allows you boot to your operating system and install drivers. But I don`t know which of cards will calculate algorithms. I put to test it.
Do you have better solutions? Every answer could help me too...

Standy

IMP_Erlangen
Product(s): Celsius R550 Workstation

Postby IMP_Erlangen » Fri Nov 12, 2010 18:25

Hi Standy,

as a matter of fact, we already tried the "two-graphics-cards" solution and that seems to work when it comes to CUDA computing. Unfortunately, however, I don't think that it's possible to persuade the system to use GF100 card as primary card after booting up.

I hope that helps you,

Tristan

mike-us
Product(s): Celsius M450

Postby mike-us » Fri Jan 14, 2011 0:53

You may want to contact Fujitsu Support directly and ask if there is a newer BIOS Version available.
In my Case - Celsius M450 (see German Forum viewtopic.php?f=56&t=43586) - i got a newer BIOS Version vom Support which is not available for Download. Maybe this is also the case for your Celsius machine.

Hope I could give you a new hint to solve yout Problem.

Best regards
Mike

Jenus
Product(s): R550

Postby Jenus » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:49

Any new words on this?
I just bought a Geforce GT 430 to put in my R550 and it didn't work, just freeze att bios logo.
I called support and they said that there wasn't any newer bios than the one on the homepage.
If there isn't any workaround on this, I will have to buy an older card.

Return to “CELSIUS Workstations”