[P5600] Video card problem?

Moderator: ModTeam

mrbean
Product(s): Esprimo P5600 (SIS761)

[P5600] Video card problem?

Postby mrbean » Tue Aug 26, 2008 16:51

This computer has had a problem running a specific program for sometime, the program in question is Starry night by Imaginova v5. It makes use of the option to use OPEN GL. With this option selected It takes an age (15-20mins) to get started and when running it will work OK for a while then freezes (or at least appears to, it may still be running but at a very slow rate). With OPEN GL option disbled it fires up normally, will run for a while then appears to freeze - OK so this isn't a forum for Starry Night... But!! It used to work perfectly until the system had to be rebuilt and all the latest drivers were loaded and hasn't worked properly since. So, as Windows XP SP3 caused problems with the machine I started a full rebuild - and returned it to it's original drivers; the problem is still apparent. I now have the latest drivers (BIOS, VIDEO...) posted in the support area, if I load the latest video drivers from windows update the machine crashes with the BSOD as soon as the screen size is changed - this is what started me on the road to a video problem.

Presently I'm using SIS761 drivers v3.8. I downloaded some OPEN GL test software and that runs to a point where it's running OPEN GL Test 1.4 then gets a protected memory error. I've run all the extended tests in the Diagnostic software and all tests pass without issue, I've run the DIRECT X Tests (v9.0c) and they all run without issue - I keep coming back to OPEN GL...

I'm still investigating and it would be great to resolve it - any body got any thoughts/suggestions/ideas?

I'm pretty IT literate but a little out of date on the terminolgy/acronyms so please be gentle!

The machine is P5600 (SIS761), 512mb memory, windows XP (home) SP3.

jools
Product(s): Scaleo p - motherboard failure ended my scaleo's life early :o(

Esprimo p2411 - upgraded somewhat by me :o)

Re: [P5600] Video card problem?

Postby jools » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:27

Hi,
My suggestion would be to abandon the onboard SiS graphics & use a dedicated graphics card (pcie)
This will bring 2 benefits....

1 - free up system memory currently being used by the onboard graphics. (this will improve XP's performance)
2 - i imagine the open GL performance would improve greatly (SiS aren't renown for there graphic chipsets in the same way ATi & Nvidia are)

possibly not the answer you were looking for, but maybe a less stressful way of resolving your problem.

PS i cant really recommend a graphics card, graphics aren't really my thing :?
Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo P2411
AMD Athlon 64 5000+ dual core
2Gb DDR2
Nvidia Geforce 6500 256mb pcie graphics
80 Gb & 500 Gb sata hard drives
Sata multi writer dvd
460w PSU
Windows XP sp3

mrbean

Postby mrbean » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:35

Many thanks- That's actually the course of action I had decided on - fortunately I have need of a new graphics card for my HTPC so I can use that for testing - just got to get one without breaking the bank or upsetting the wife :D

mrbean

Postby mrbean » Tue Sep 09, 2008 20:27

No progress, video card replacement failed to solve the problem. I'm totally baffled - it's a clean build of XP home with all updates and latest drivers and still this bleeding program just sits for 10 mins before it does it's next activity - it's running just likes a coffee break between tasks.

Anybody know how I might track down what it's actually doing whilst its asleep? I've downloaded windows debugger, but I don't really have the time to get properly familiar with it.

desparation is now setting in!

Return to “ESPRIMO”