[P2411] New HD causes freeze

Moderator: ModTeam

baldyboy

[P2411] New HD causes freeze

Postby baldyboy » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:51

I have a brand new Esprimo P2411 and bought a Western Digital Caviar 500GB drive for extra capacity.

On installing, it causes a freeze before getting into the BIOS screen. I have had the drive checked by the vendor who installed it on their machine and formatted it, I tried again to no avail. My brother in law who is a PC tech can't even get it to install.

What are we missing? or is their an issue that someone knows about?

Baldyboy

Juggernaut

Postby Juggernaut » Tue Jan 08, 2008 17:12

baldyboy

Advice

Postby baldyboy » Fri Jan 11, 2008 13:30

Thanks juggernaut

I can't believe that a brand new machine needs me to do some scary stuff to it already!

I have tracked my Bios/MB numbers down V6.60 R1.14.2560.A3 and it appears that there is an update from 22/10/07 version 6.00 1.15

I have never flashed a BIOS before and I am unsure of the difference between the boot disc and desk flash other than I will need a USb floppy for the former. Which is the better route to take and if you have time to look do you think this update will cure my problem?

Thanks in advance

Baldyboy

Juggernaut

Postby Juggernaut » Mon Jan 14, 2008 16:53

Hi Baldboy,

actually, BIOS updates are not scary in my opinion on FSC business PCs. The BIOS update cannot go wrong from software side (like wrong BIOS - this is checked by the software), so the only issue you could get (even if there is a power failure during flash, etc) would be in the unlikely event of the hardware being damaged (flash chip broken).

Unlike "normal" (China/Taiwan) boards, the boards in business PCs from FSC (and other big brands) are quite safe to flash. Even if anything should go wrong, you can still do a BIOS recovery with a CD, USB stick, diskette, etc.

The easiest is to use deskflash under windows. Download the respective BIOS update file for desk flash plus the utility:

http://support.fujitsu-siemens.com/Down ... AD7C1A95BD

The process should be self explanatory.

But to be honest, I don't know if this would help with your issue. I have heard about issues with WD vs. the Nvidia chipsets. So if you can still exchange the harddisk maybe get an other type like Maxtor or Seagate.

baldyboy

No go still

Postby baldyboy » Mon Jun 02, 2008 13:47

Thanks for everyone's help, latest BIOS installed and still no go for the drive. I can't return it :( so it looks like I will get a USB enclosure for it and just go external.

I wish I had known about WD Vs Nvidia clashes before!

baldyboy

Return to “ESPRIMO”