P Esprimo dual graphics cards issues

Moderator: ModTeam

spottedhaggis

P Esprimo dual graphics cards issues

Postby spottedhaggis » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:25

Hi all.

Have a friend that has a new Esprimo AMD 64 P 5600 model. From what I can find out it has the onboard SIS graphics.

Tis person had 2 monitors and 2 graphics card in her last system, one was on board the other a pci card.

I have purchased a new Nvidia 6200 Express pci card for this new system to maintain her dual monitor capability, and upon installation windows detects it fine, however the onboard graphics has vanished and thus does not work.

I have tried everything to get it back into device manager of Win XP Pro but it wont appear, and the software for the SIS tells me it cannot detect any such display (I have also tried several other non SIS drivers for the Esprimo range to no avail)

I have checked the bios and tried both the PCI and alternative Express PCI opton as the default card, there appears to be no dissable on board graphics option only a default setting, neither of which makes any difference.

Its almost as it inserting the express pci card removed the on board one completely.

Can anyon help me out here.

Thanks in advance.

Juggernaut

Postby Juggernaut » Thu Feb 09, 2006 13:23

You are right, the onboard graphics is automatically disabled when a PCIexpress graphics card is plugged.

This was the same with AGP, only PCI graphics cards can co-exist with chipset integrated onboard graphics. This is because the onboard graphics uses the same resources as the PCIe/AGP graphics card, so you can use either but not both.

spottedhaggis

Postby spottedhaggis » Thu Feb 09, 2006 13:37

Well, that just plain sucks. now I have abrand new AGP Nvidia and a brand new PCI express Nvidia

Anyone want to buy 2 unused cards?

Juggernaut

Postby Juggernaut » Thu Feb 09, 2006 14:05

Sorry to hear. Unfortunately this is simply a chipset limitation that you have on all mainboard from all manufacturers. Hopefully you can return those cards to where you bought them, or sell them again on ebay...

almark

Postby almark » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:13

I had exactly the same problem.

spottedhaggis

Postby spottedhaggis » Fri Feb 10, 2006 16:39

OK, get this.

The original card was a pci card in a non make system, worjked fine, an NVIDIA GF MX4000 ddr tv pci so this will work with the onboard graphics card?

Juggernaut

Postby Juggernaut » Fri Feb 10, 2006 22:02

Standard PCI graphics cards will work OK.

Return to “ESPRIMO”