Esprimo 5600 and Windows XP SP2 MVL install

Moderator: ModTeam

mgilbert

Esprimo 5600 and Windows XP SP2 MVL install

Postby mgilbert » Tue Jan 03, 2006 19:07

Hello

Having major difficulty in installing Pro; the system just won't boot from the customer's XP Pro SP2 CD. Even if a version is created with all the right drivers on. BSOD for a fraction of a second, and then reboot.

Ideas?

TIA

Mike

Binary

Postby Binary » Tue Jan 03, 2006 21:35

You're a little short in describing the problem. Is the CD the original FSC supplied recovery CDROM? If so, then it should certainly be able to boot from it (or any other installation disk for that matter). If you get a BSOD immediately after the PC boots, then I would say that there must be a hardware problem. You should therefore contact your local helpdesk and have them solve the problem.

mgilbert

Postby mgilbert » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:51

As per the topic, this is an XP SP 2 MVL (Multi Volume Licence) CD. The customer is a school with School Subscription licensing, which enables them to upgrade from Home to Pro. The machine has been cloned off a Scenic E 300, and the build has been resealed with Sysprep. On reboot, Windows briefly tries to start and then reboots.
There is no point in using the supplied disc, as it has XP Home on it. Even if it had Pro, I don't want to have to register a roomful of machines.
As you say, talking to the helpdesk should work, but I thought a quick try on here might work.

Cheers

Mike

Binary

Postby Binary » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:02

I understand the point, though you wouldn't have to activate Windows Home, it's also a MVL. But I suggest using it just to see if it will work. If it does, then you can rule out a hardware problem, and if it does not, then you would be quite certain it is hardware. Using a Sysprep from a different machine might not always work.

mgilbert

Postby mgilbert » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:25

The trouble is that I *know* it's a hardware problem. However, it should still reboot from the CDROM to fix Windows. We came across this with the C1320 LifeBook a few months ago, where the S-ATA driver wasn't on the XP Pro standard build. The current issue is more confusing. Using Sysprep to build an image which is then Ghosted and rebuilt is what we've done for years.
ANd it's not possible to repair an XP Pro build with Home.
Further; a build from a Scenic T (Intel 815 chipset) works fine.
Phone call time. <sigh>

Return to “ESPRIMO”