AH530 - Battery Life / Usage

Moderator: ModTeam

Monkeyspanker
Product(s): LIFEBOOK AH530

AH530 - Battery Life / Usage

Postby Monkeyspanker » Tue Apr 10, 2012 16:03

I have just bought a Lifebook AH530.

Reading through the Operating Manual I have noted that page 30 gives the life expectancy of the battery as "... around 500 charge/discharge cycles." If this is really the case, and assuming the very optimistic 6 hour battery runtime claimed in the Data Sheet, I will be needing a new battery every 6-8 months at a cost of £35-£50. This seems a great deal to be paying in on-going costs for running a laptop computer.

Are the figures correct?

I have discovered that the computer runs perfectly well when plugged into the mains with the battery removed. Is it advisable and safe - the battery connectors at the rear are exposed - to operate the computer in this configuration?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

sabrex
Product(s): Various

Re: AH530 - Battery Life / Usage

Postby sabrex » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:53

Hi
Info here explaining battery: http://www.mpoweruk.com/life.htm
Your figures are incorrect if you read up on battery and how batteries actually have a shelf life dependent on many other factors.
Too extensive to go into here.
I would also remind you that ac adapters and batteries are covered by a 1 year warranty with the manufacturer.

Monkeyspanker wrote:I have discovered that the computer runs perfectly well when plugged into the mains with the battery removed. Is it advisable and safe - the battery connectors at the rear are exposed - to operate the computer in this configuration?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Yes you can run it fine like that but i would point you to this section on the link about that :

used or not.jpg
used or not.jpg (12.37 KiB) Viewed 13121 times

Some battery cells are shipped from factory in some sort of factory sleep mode. By Charging the unit 100% then letting the machine run on battery all the way down till it powers off (5%) repeat process 5-6 times should allow the battary to learn the full charge cycle and give you the maximum useage in hours (approx 4-6 hrs dependent on useage)
Last edited by sabrex on Fri May 04, 2012 9:15, edited 2 times in total.

Monkeyspanker
Product(s): LIFEBOOK AH530

Re: AH530 - Battery Life / Usage

Postby Monkeyspanker » Thu Apr 12, 2012 17:21

Interesting. Thanks.

From reading the site recommended, it appears I need to remove the battery - once it is fully charged - to use my laptop for extended periods whilst plugged into the mains; extended periods of charging will/can damage or reduce the life of the battery.

The laptop will be operated on battery power irregularly but often.

I do not know if the exposed battery contacts are safe.

Return to “LIFEBOOK”