[AH531] Problems with Photoshop/possibly dual GPU-related

Moderator: ModTeam

froschfinger
Product(s): Lifebook AH531 GPO

[AH531] Problems with Photoshop/possibly dual GPU-related

Postby froschfinger » Thu Jan 19, 2012 13:06

Hey there,

I am having severe problems with Photoshop CS5 x64, and I currently trying to narrow it down and suspect the dual GPU switch to be the culprit of it.

When I first start Photoshop after a fresh installation everything is fine. For testing purposes I leave it at default settings. After a reboot Photoshop crashes each time I open a layer style and try to save it (the layer style, not the document). Once I trash settings on Photoshop startup it works again (though I did not change anything about them beforehand).

I have read on other boards on other laptops with a dual GPU setting that they had problems with OpenGL not detecting the right GPU. I have the latest drivers, latest Photoshop and Windows updates. OpenGL is enabled in Photoshop and seems to detect the right GPU. The problem occurs even when I disable OpenGL in Photoshop. The nVidia GPU is enabled in the corresponding nVidia settings panel to be used with Photoshop.

My question: Can it be some kind of conflict with both GPUs being in used in Photoshop? Is that common and did it occur to someone else having a Lifebook with switchable GPU? And is there a way to explicitly force the nVidia GPU to be used for any window and process that is Photoshop (x64)? Or any path of a solution I could go?

Thank you in advance

froschfinger

Edit: Seems I have (re-)found something else that might be related. On first run after installing Photoshop (both versions) the program crashes immediately and some compatibility assistant tells me it has put compatibility settings on Photoshop to run from now on. After that Photoshop starts normal, but with said problems.
Last edited by froschfinger on Thu Jan 19, 2012 17:52, edited 1 time in total.

sabrex
Product(s): Various

Re: [AH531] Problems with Photoshop/possibly dual GPU-relate

Postby sabrex » Thu Jan 19, 2012 16:59

Hi what dual GPU setting ?
AH531 has an intel vga or AH531 gfo NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 525M. So you either have one or the other not both.
:shock:

froschfinger

Postby froschfinger » Thu Jan 19, 2012 17:37

AH531 GPO - is that the difference? Then I have that model, sorry. My Lifebook defo has two GPUs :D.

froschfinger

Postby froschfinger » Fri Jan 27, 2012 21:57

Just in case anybody is stumbling over my thread in need of a solution for the same problem or alike: if have been living running both of them side by side with no hassle, but in this case uninstalling WindowBlinds completely solved the case. No more crashes, not a single one. All smooth. I would suspect that skinning program windows (while Photoshop windows have their independent skin from the OS though) must have lead to some kind of corruption or confusion between the two GPUs. I have no clue, but love to be back at work ;).

Have a happy day

froscher

Return to “LIFEBOOK”