How do I boot from usb-device with S2110?

Moderator: ModTeam

magicgunnar
Product(s): Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook S2110

How do I boot from usb-device with S2110?

Postby magicgunnar » Mon Jun 21, 2010 22:08

Hi

I have an S2110 Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook, and I want to install ubuntu on a external usb-disk.
I want the computer to boot from the usb-disk if it is plugged in, or else boot from the internal harddrive.

I have tried to press F12 at startup and change the boot sequence.

After installing ubuntu on the usb-disk, it didn't seem to want to boot from it. I tried to install grub, and thought I succeeded, but I may have overwritten the original boot-program so I can only boot when the usb-disk is plugged in. Then I can choose both Ubuntu and Windows. But without the usb-drive I only get the grub interface.

I have three questions:
1. How do I configure the bios to boot from an usb-disk if it is plugged in, and else from the internal harddrive.
2. How do I restore the original boot-program if it has been overwritten? (When I look at boot.ini in Windows XP it looks perfectly normal.
3. What does the ! to the left of the internal harddrive, and from time to time to the left of the usb-disk in the boot-menu means?

As you can see I am not very experienced in this field, thank you for your time reading and maybe answering this!

Return to “LIFEBOOK”