[Lifebook] S7110 fan

Moderator: ModTeam

sc911

[Lifebook] S7110 fan

Postby sc911 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 14:25

Hello everybody,

after reading all of your reports on noisy fan, I am not suprised that my new S7110 (Core 2 Duo T5600) has a problem here too. In the first half hour it is ok, the fan starts only from time to time, sometimes it doesn´t even start. But after this time, it starts rotating all time and makes a lot of noise. The problem occurres in XP and in Vista. In Vista the fan starts earlier and runs without a break. In XP it sometimes stops and starts again after a minute.

Now I wonder about why there is somuch talk about the S7020 but not about the S7110. Is there anybody else with this problem? Or is the Core 2 Duo the real trouble maker? Is there a solution already?

Thx, sc911

cf_1

Postby cf_1 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 17:49

Hi,

I also own a S7110 (T7200 (?), Core2Duo 2GHz) and have experienced the same problem (Pulsing Fan).

The (german) technical support answered to me that this behaviour is "normal" - but still, the noise is bothering me.

So herewith I'd like to encourage everyone who experiences the same problem to write to FSC about it. Perhaps, if enough people are writing, they'll come up with a solution like for the S7020 (...where the "grosso"-tool is available).

Thanks You & Greetings,
Christian

andy88

Postby andy88 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 18:16

The (german) technical support answered to me that this behaviour is "normal" - but still, the noise is bothering me.

(Going on a bit of a rant here...) It seems that people generally don't realise that the fan has to come on in order to keep the system cool. When you're using a desktop PC you probably don't notice the cooling fans because they are on all the time. But a laptop with a Core2 processor can't possibly be expected to run fanless, else it would either become too hot to touch, or the CPU would clock itself down so low that it would be running too slow to be usable. If the fan is very noisy and something is obviously broken (eg, the fan is coming into contact with something inside the case, or the bearing in the fan motor has died), then I can understand your annoyance and this should rightfully be repaired by FSC under warranty. However during typical idle usage (browsing the web, checking email, writing documents etc), the fan will probably come on every now and again just to keep the temperature of the machine down. This is normal behaviour and was certainly designed this way.

If something in your machine is obviously broken, then send it in to FSC via the helpdesk to be repaired under warranty. If not, try clocking your CPU down with SpeedSwitch XP from http://www.diefer.de/speedswitchxp/. Once installed it will probably be set to Dynamic Switching - set it to Max Battery and see if this reduces the heat and fan noise.

Andy

cf_1

Re:

Postby cf_1 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:15

Hello Andy,

thank You for Your reply.

I understand the fact that modern and powerful processors produce rather much heat and that this heat has to go "somewhere". But in the case of the S7110 (the notebook of a colleague of mine shows the same behaviour, so nothing is broken) the fan is running periodically, this means it is off for around 30 seconds, than it's running for around 20 seconds, and so on - All of this is in "IDLE"-State, e.g. while writing this message here and with Speedswitch XP in the "Battery Optimized" Setting.

When looking at the temperature of the processor, it seems that the fan goes on at around 46°C, blows the warm air out of the housing, and when the temperature falls below 45°C the fan goes off again. It seems that FSC's competitors have the same problems, altough they might have a workaround that would work fine at least for me:
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.a ... Core+2+Duo

Heat and noise

This section would be more accurately called heat or noise. The laptop has two internal fans, controlled by the BIOS. Dell's default fan settings are rather curious. Playing around with I8kfangui, I discovered some interesting things. When idle, the laptop is completely silent, with both fans off. Which is nice, except the T7200 and the Geforce 7900GS aren't really meant to be passively cooled. When first booting up, the CPU temperature reads around 37 C, and GPU around 60 C. I watch helplessly as the CPU and GPU temperatures creep up. Finally, when the CPU reaches around 55 C and GPU reaches a whopping 78 C, both fans kick on to bring the temperatures back to 37/57. Then the fans shut off, and another cycle of temperature creeping begins.

The end result is that under Dell's default settings, you get about 20 minutes of completely silent operation with ever increasing temperatures, followed by the laptop finally deciding it doesn't want to melt itself after all, with about 5 minutes of fan operation. Fortunately, I8kfangui allows the user to completely customize fan settings for the preferred balance between heat and fan noise. With both fans forced to being constantly on at the "slow" setting, the laptop is able to maintain a temperature of 38 C /60 C.

If the possibility of setting up the fan to the minimum speed and continous running (e.g. to obtain a contant temperature of around 50°C in Idle-Mode) would be given in the case of the S7110, I would be totally satisfied, because the constant, low noise would bother me less than the described pulsating behaviour. As far as I understand, the "grosso"-Tool for the S7020 does exactly this, and I cannot understand while this is not available for the 7110...

Thanks again for the reply Andy, maybe now You understand why I was complaining about the fan behaviour. Perhaps I'm just more noise sensitive than the average user, but I have not expected this problems after buying a device as expensive as the S7110...

Best Regards,
Christian

elwood.blues

Postby elwood.blues » Fri Mar 23, 2007 16:05

Dear andy88,

Are you really a support engineer of Fujitsu Siemens? I can´t believe this, because you don´t know anything about the noise problem of S7110 devices. Furthermore your argumentation is absurd.

The described problem seems to be well known by Fujitsu Siemens and a (software) solution also seems to be available. Please contact technical.support@fujitsu-siemens.com for further information.

Yours sincerely,
elwood.blues

cf_1

Postby cf_1 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 16:33

Hi,

are You sure You're talking about the 7110? I've got a (german) response from technical.support@fujitsu-siemens.com, just saying that the described behaviour is "normal". Furthermore, the guy was saying that the program that solved a similar problem on the S7020 is not available on the 7110...

Do You have any further information about the software solution You were talking about?

Thank You & Greetings,
Christian

elwood.blues

Postby elwood.blues » Fri Mar 23, 2007 18:45

Yes, I am a sure. :)

Moreover it´s not allowed quoting mails from the support in a forum. So give me a few more days ..

cf_1

Re:

Postby cf_1 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 14:26

elwood.blues wrote:Yes, I am a sure. :)

Moreover it´s not allowed quoting mails from the support in a forum. So give me a few more days ..

Hi,

ok, so I'm waiting for another response of You with a little bit more information...

Thanks&Greetings,
Christian

andy88

Postby andy88 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:04

Are you really a support engineer of Fujitsu Siemens? I can´t believe this, because you don´t know anything about the noise problem of S7110 devices. Furthermore your argumentation is absurd.

OK. If you read my signature you'll see I'm internal support, which means I support FSC staff, and not FSC customers. I use S7110s a lot. Our internal Windows build has issues with the wireless drivers and a third party wireless manager program, so I've spent a lot of time working with user's S7110s to get around this. A lot of our sales guys are using S7110s as thier main machines, and they're being subjected to full working day use. These guys use thier machines in meetings with customers etc. So far noone has had any "noise" issues like this with them, and if there was a noise issue with these machines they would definately let us know about it. But I'm not the "real" helpdesk and I don't have all the support info available to me that they do. I'll see if I can get access to it at some point.

The described problem seems to be well known by Fujitsu Siemens and a (software) solution also seems to be available.

As I said, I don't have all the info available to me that 2nd line support does. But I do keep watching one of the internal pages they update and:
Notebook Known Issues
This is a list of the current issues as raised with 2nd line support or the Helpdesk Supervisors
and the appropriate actions

So as far as UK 2nd line are concerned, there isn't a "noise problem" they're currently aware of for the 7110. German support (technical.support@fujitsu-siemens.com) have apparently said this is not an issue. These guys would be the first to hear about anything and they update the site whenever any new issues are found.

How exactly is my argumentation "absurd"? I don't claim to know everything about every product by any means, but I can assure you I know what I'm talking about. If the helpdesk says there isn't an issue, there isn't - that they're aware of. If you can prove there is an issue with your machine, please call your local helpdesk and send it in to be looked at.

Andy

cf_1

Postby cf_1 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 15:16

Hi Andy,

I don't know what You call an "issue" - I think, an "FSC-issue" is some kind of problem that is acknowledged by FSC. As I have been writing earlier, the FSC-Support stated to me that the pulsating fan behavior is "normal", what means for me that it's not an issue for FSC - altough, this is an issue for me personally. Since the notebook of a colleague shows the same behaviour, and also some other users wrote here that they're bothered about the noise, I think it's sure that there is some kind of problem here, even though not (yet) acknowledged by FSC.

I'm interested which kind of S7110 You always use; I can image that the models with slower processors don't produce as much heat as the models with faster processors, maybe this is the reason why the people at FSC working with S7110 notebooks are not having the same problem...

Furthermore, another question: At which temperatures are the S7110s running You are talking about? As described earlier, the S7110 I use runs at a temperature of 44°C, and when the (CPU-) temperature reaches 45°C (I use RMClock to check this), the fan spins up to the maximum speed until the temp. is at 44°C again. After 30seconds, the same game restarts...

I cannot imagine that no one at FSC ever experienced this with a powerful processor (e.g. T7200/2GHz), but maybe I'm just more noise sensitive than the average user. Still, if the fan would always spin at the minimum speed to continuously blow out the hot air, I think the processor temperature would always stay below 45°C, what would be more than ok for me...

If "elwood.blues" is correct, a program to solve this should already be available, maybe he will be able to supply it, let's see. Unfortunately, I need this computer for my daily work, if not I'd send it to FSC. Maybe I'll call the "on-site service" and ask someone to come here to have a look...

Greetings, Christian

andy88

Postby andy88 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:14

Hi,

I've looked on the helpdesk's knowledge database for the S7110 and a few solutions have been posted for various fan noise issues. A lot of these were solved by flashing the BIOS to the very latest version.

Download:CD ISO - Floppy disk image

Please try this. If you're still having the same issue with BIOS 1.28 then reply here and let me know, there is a tool you can try.

Cheers

Andy

cf_1

Re:

Postby cf_1 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:59

andy88 wrote:Hi,

I've looked on the helpdesk's knowledge database for the S7110 and a few solutions have been posted for various fan noise issues. A lot of these were solved by flashing the BIOS to the very latest version.

Download:CD ISO - Floppy disk image

Please try this. If you're still having the same issue with BIOS 1.28 then reply here and let me know, there is a tool you can try.

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy, thank You for the hint. Unfortunately, the BIOS update didn't help. By the way, I already tried the BIOS update last week, and just checked again if the update went well, and the BIOS setup clearly says that I have BIOS 1.28.

I already tried a few programs that are supposed to allow a control of the fan, but it seems that the S7110's fan is not controllable via ACPI... What tool do You mean, is something available in the internet?

And, which knowledge base are You talking about, is it accessible to the public? At least I couldn't find anything... Would be interesting for me to read a little bit in there...

Again, thank You very much for Your initiative, I appreciate that!

Greetings,
Christian

elwood.blues

Postby elwood.blues » Tue Mar 27, 2007 17:59

there is a tool you can try

Now you understand what I am talking about! :)

Can you give us a link?

elwood.blues

Postby elwood.blues » Wed Mar 28, 2007 17:20

:!:

I have news for you:

Not all S7110 are affected by the problem.
If you have the problem, please contact technischer.support@fujitsu-siemens.com and ask for a program that fixes the bug.

Please post your notebook configuration (e.g. 2 * 2GHz C2D) and your experiences with the program in this forum.

Regards, Elwood Blues

elwood.blues

Postby elwood.blues » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:17

:!: Laut dem technischem Support von FSC wird aktuell an einer Lösung des Problems gearbeitet. Diese Lösung geht also über das bisherige Update hinaus, welches das Problem nur teilweise behoben hat.

Betroffene sollten eine Mail an technical.support@fujitsu-siemens.com schicken.

Dabei NICHT mit dem - vom Support versendeten - Tool "S7110_FA" zufrieden geben. Dieses löst das Problem nämlich nur halb. Anstelle dessen solltet ihr euch auf die umfassende Lösung - an welcher aktuell gearbeitet wird - berufen.

An sich müsste doch nur das Lüftermanagement aus bestimmten Amilos ins S7110 kopiert werden. Bei einigen dieser Consumergeräte ist das Lüfterverhalten doch annähernd perfekt. Eigentlich müsste es doch andersherum sein, wenn man den Preisunterschied bedenkt?! :?

Vorläufiges Fazit: Nicht verzagen, sondern unbedingt eine Mail an den Support schreiben und kurz das Problem schildern!

Return to “LIFEBOOK”