RAM upgrade for Amilo Pi 1505

Moderator: ModTeam

LoveAmilo
Product(s): Amilo Pi1505

RAM upgrade for Amilo Pi 1505

Postby LoveAmilo » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:38

First post. Thank you for reading.

I have an Amilo Pi 1505. It's getting slow, but it's such a great machine, I want to try to extend its life by adding some RAM. At present, according to the label on the box it arrived in, I have 2 x MEM 512M DDR533. The maximum RAM is 2 GB. The user manual states: 'Use only memory expansions released for your notebook: 256, 512 MB and 1 GB DDR2-533 SO DIMM (PC2-4200) module or 256, 512 MB or 1 GB DDR2-677 SO DIMM (PC2-5300) module.' As I understand it, the machine has two memory modules, one on the back and one under the keyboard.

Can anyone help me with the following questions:

1) Can I put 2GB RAM in the module on the back of the machine or do I need to split it 1GB/1GB between the two modules if I want the best performance? (The user manual suggests the module under the keyboard should only be accessed by a trained technician, although I've seen advice for how to do it online.)

2) The user manual seems to be suggesting either 533 or 677. How should I decide which to use?

3) My System info says I have 'Intel T2050 @ 1.6 GHz, 800 MHz, 0.99GB of RAM'. The Intel T2050 chip runs at 1.6 GHz. What does the '800 MHz' refer to here? I can't see how this relates to the official specs for this chip: http://ark.intel.com/products/27231/Int ... 33-MHz-FSB. Does this relate to what sort of RAM I should install?

Many thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

LoveAmilo
Product(s): Amilo Pi1505

Re: RAM upgrade for Amilo Pi 1505

Postby LoveAmilo » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:49

OP again. Sorry - think I probably asked too many questions!

I've done a bit more digging, and as I understand the speed of the FSB on my machine (533) does limit the overall speed, but using 667 RAM could still give some marginal gain in terms of latency time, although it's not likely to be significant. Still, the price difference isn't great, so I would probably go for the 667.

The only thing I'm concerned about is the difficulty, mentioned by others, of accessing the memory module under the keyboard, which would be necessary if I want to install two 1GB RAM modules. The alternative would be to buy a 2GB module and install it in the memory slot on the back of the machine. However, this would mean keeping the 512MB module already installed in the slot under the keyboard, which would give me 2GB plus 512MB i.e. more than the 2GB maximum, and the two modules would also not match, either the manufacturer or the speed (currently installed is 533 and I'm thinking about putting in 667). Anyone know if this could be an issue/could prevent maximum performance improvement?

Return to “AMILO Notebook”