Screen turns black when opening sometimes

Moderator: ModTeam

maraxion
Product(s): Amilo PA 1510

Screen turns black when opening sometimes

Postby maraxion » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:41

Hi.
My old PA 1510 is still kicking, and im hoping it wil serve me another 2 years since iv put some money in it.
Iv also got an 90% extra 1510 for parts if need be.

A half year ago the screen begain to go black. With a light I could see the system working and could use windows, but I guess the backlight was gone. I could move the lid up and down and it would find the place where it got power, but the angler got steeper and steeper and it the end I had a 5cm slot with light :)
So I opened the machin and found the 4 pin power cable between motherboard and screen dead. i guess by the toll of opening and shutting. I replaced it with a "new" one.
Now 6 months after a similare problem hapenes again. Its ot as bad(at first) at least, but im scared it might get there. The weird thing now doh, is if the machine sits open for a few hours the screen might suddenly flash to black and then back again withouth touching. So before I started to strip the screen, I was wondering if it could be something else then the cable? System, hardware anything?

Caretaker
Product(s): LIFEBOOKs

Re: Screen turns black when opening sometimes

Postby Caretaker » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:13

This might also be caused by a defect Inverter. This is a small board which is responsible for the backlight of the display. You can find in the middle under the screen.

So if 'only' the backlight is off but it is possible to still recognize that the operating system is still working and for example you can see a movement if on the left lower side of the screen if you press the Windowskey (so that the start menü will opens) then this might be a defect inverter.

But if the screen is completely dark this is caused by the screen or the cable probably.

What happens if you connect an external monotor to the device. Is the screen also black there or do you can work on this screen?

maraxion

Postby maraxion » Mon Oct 10, 2011 17:42

Hi.
Im hoping its not the inverter, cause I had a hard time getting that out the last one so I had to use the spare.
I was just suprised since I just had a failure like this, and was thinking the cable should last a lot longer!

I havent hooked it to the tv yet. But I can open the screen and its black, then push the lid down until it lights up and often open it up again to the right angle. When the screen goes black I can se windows working behind, and can use a flash light or wigle the screen to get the light back.

If its the cable I need to change it, but I havent a spare anymore. It looks like its a 4 pin connector, so im guessing that 2 are power cables and 2 are adjusting cables for light -+? I was thinking I had to cut of the cable ends and make my own cable, and this time out of thicker and stronger cable.

Caretaker

Postby Caretaker » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:12

When the screen goes black I can se windows working behind, and can use a flash light or wigle the screen to get the light back.

This normally is caused by a defect inverter which is not working anymore. But it also might be caused by the cable from the mainboard to the inverter if the cable is defect which powers the inverter.
But also it might be the mainboard if the pins on the mainboard are defect.

So you see, its a little bit difficult to find out the exact part without doing measurements. But in the most cases is is caused by a defect inverter.

maraxion

Postby maraxion » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:45

Caretaker wrote:
When the screen goes black I can se windows working behind, and can use a flash light or wigle the screen to get the light back.

This normally is caused by a defect inverter which is not working anymore. But it also might be caused by the cable from the mainboard to the inverter if the cable is defect which powers the inverter.
But also it might be the mainboard if the pins on the mainboard are defect.

So you see, its a little bit difficult to find out the exact part without doing measurements. But in the most cases is is caused by a defect inverter.

Hi.
Ok is is posible to get an inverter somewhere, maybe its standard for more versions of computers?

Caretaker

Postby Caretaker » Tue Oct 11, 2011 14:21

These both should be working

But for orderding you should contact a service partner of Fujtsu in your near if they can't find them online.

maraxion

Postby maraxion » Tue Oct 11, 2011 17:24

Great, il look into it.

Any idea what the 4 different cables between mainboard and screen is?

Return to “AMILO Notebook”