XA3530 - problem with SSD drive on AHCI mode-slow POST

Moderator: ModTeam

ace ventura
Product(s): Xa3530

XA3530 - problem with SSD drive on AHCI mode-slow POST

Postby ace ventura » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:02

I have XA3530 model with 2 hard drive running in RAID0. Now i bought SSD drive Corsair Force 3 64GB. I disable RAID and set AHCI mode in BIOS. When I used whole SSD drive on SATA2 port (close to cpu - common cover) or use SSD on any SATA port combined with classic hard drive on another SATA port then notebook's POST is very long. It takes about 30 seconds. Blue progress bar stops (1cm before the end) and notebook do nothing. After that, normally boots.

When I change mode to IDE Legacy - it's alright and POST takes about 3 seconds.

I have latest BIOS installed and latest firmware in SSD. What do you think? It's notebook BIOS failure or SSD drive fault?

THANKS.

AyuCrazy
Product(s): Amilo Xi3670

Re: XA3530 - problem with SSD drive on AHCI mode-slow POST

Postby AyuCrazy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:04

Do you have anything else connected?
I know that when i boot my laptop with USB hardrive connected and stuff post takes longer, not 30 sec but slower then normal.
Also have you tried using ONLY the SSD? , still slow boot?
Have you made sure the firmware on the SSD is the latest?

In general AHCI can be a bit slower on post/boot sometimes, cause it needs to load drivers etc, but inOS performance is generally alot better

ace ventura

Postby ace ventura » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:31

Hi, thanks for respond.
No, no other devices are not connected. I succesfully flashed SSD drive to new 1.3 version firmware.

I tried all combinations in AHCI mode and there are a results: (notebook has 3 SATA ports marked as S1 and S3 for hard drives and S2 for ODD)

Slow POST in this cases:

only SSD in S3 port
SSD in S3 port + HDD in S1 port
SSD in S1 port + HDD in S3 port

Normal POST in this cases:

only SSD in S1 port
only HDD in S1 port
only HDD in S3 port
HDD in S1 + HDD in S3 port

ace ventura

Postby ace ventura » Fri Sep 30, 2011 16:36

I totally forgot to dvd-rw drive. When I removed it, computer's POST delay was normal. I tried another ODD from ASUS notebook and this another drive (but same manufacturer) worked flawlessly :D :!: . There is some kind of incompatibility.

Stock ODD is Sony Optiarc AD-7700S with FSC branding and firmware 1.44. I reflashed it to manufacturer stock 1.3 FW and then to Sony 1.71 FW. ODD is still working but without any positive change to POST delay.

I will order new LG GT40N drive and hope it will work.

EDIT: I installed new ODD and everything working fine.

peking-ente
Product(s): FSC Amilo XA 3530

Postby peking-ente » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:55

I'm glad you solved your problem but I have updated my bios to a new amd raid option rom and I did some advanced menu and vga option rom modding. It still bios version 2.08 but it's a lot faster. I have found some tutorials about bios modding and I have also posted a memory dump of my patch. The problem with the bios is because it's so old. I have tried every possible optiom version but not all is working. I have also unlocked the advanced menu and other hidden options and I have wrote a os driver to control the fan. Send me a pm if you are interested in my modification?

thomaslindner73
Product(s): Amilo XA3530

Postby thomaslindner73 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 22:10

Hi!

I just registered to this forum, only cause I'm interested in your modded BIOS. Is it still including the SLIC 2.0? Cause that's necessary to keep my vista activated. It sounds interesting to make the post faster cause I'm using an SSD now and most of boot time is wasted during the post.
I had exactly the same problem with the Sony ODD, I changed it with an LG one (the one out of my htpc). The post of the other machine keeps as fast as befor, so this is a cool solution.

thanks in forward

Thomas

Return to “AMILO Notebook”