Amilo Pi2540 VERY SLOW on battery

Moderator: ModTeam

Costas
Product(s): Amilo Pi2540

Amilo Pi2540 VERY SLOW on battery

Postby Costas » Thu Feb 24, 2011 19:55

Hi all,

I’d like to post a problem, concerning my main laptop, a F-S Amilo Pi 2540. Well, after one year of normal use, its battery became dead, (it was my fault, after 2-3 exhaustive discharges). Recently, I replace its original processor (Core Duo T2330) with a faster one, a Core 2 Duo T7100. Also, I obtained a new battery from a third party manufacturer, as long as I didn’t find an original one. While the computer is functioning flawlessly on AC mains, it becomes very slow on battery (processor’s core speed is lowering to some 200, or even 100MHz). As a matter of fact, the laptop becomes so slow, that it is useless. This is happening no matter what power scheme I choose in the Windows Vista control panel. Specifically, even if I set min and max processor energy state to 100%, the problem remains the same, and it persists even on a fresh install of Windows, just like the laptop was new (I tried a fresh install on a spare hard drive). Nonetheless, the operating system (Vista Home Premium) is fully updated, and works fine, when the laptop is connected to AC.

I just made a thought, that something is going on with the battery, an incompatibility or something like that, but I can’t be sure. If somebody has come across such a problem, I would appreciate some clues. Also, please, I’d like some recommendations about what battery should I choose.

(Another, minor problem is that the wired net card has become invisible to the OS, but I don't mind, as the laptop is always connected via its wireless connection. Any way, if somebody has a solution for this, please, let me know).

Thanks for your time guys…

Costas

Re: Amilo Pi2540 VERY SLOW on battery

Postby Costas » Thu Feb 24, 2011 20:15

Let me post some screenshots...

On AC...

On battery...

No matter the processor is working at full speed or speedstep, the system reports 1.8GHz for both speeds...

Ichijoe
Product(s): AMILO Pi 2550

Postby Ichijoe » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:53

I'd say that was not only normal but, actually very useful.
I don't think I would want my Pi 2550 (more or less similar to your 2530, I think the only difference lies in the Graphics Card used 2530 [HD2300] 2550 [HD2400]), to run at full power on Battery as it was I was only ever able to squeeze out about 90 or so Minutes of use out of my 2550 before the Battery died. And that was with out Wi-Fi and the Screen turned down.

If you absolutely must kill your Battery ASAP, I would try to either edit the settings in Windows (i.e. Start -> Control Panel -> Windows Mobility Center), or see if you can deactivate the Speedstep (The thing that's causing you to loose power), from the BIOS.

Not sure if you can do that last part though and I can't check now cause I'm using the 2550 to post this.

Costas

Postby Costas » Sun Feb 27, 2011 20:42

Thanks for replying! The only power options I have in BIOS are "Long life battery mode" and "LCD panel power saving". They don't affect the speedstep whether they are either enabled or disabled. Anyway, I don't intend to squeeze battery's power :D . All I want is the processor to obey the power scheme I choose, or at least to have my laptop at a speed higher than this. That's all...

Costas

Postby Costas » Wed Mar 02, 2011 17:18

Well, what I found is that when the computer is running on battery, set to sleep and then back on, it maintains a fair processor speed of 800MHz, but this is not repetitive. After it goes to hibernation or shuts down and then back on, it falls again to 200MHz. I think that a bios update is needed to solve this issue, but the manufacturer doesn't seem to have such an intention...

Costas

Postby Costas » Mon Mar 14, 2011 17:54

Well, I reported this problem to Fujitsu a few days ago. I don't know if the guys at Fujitsu will make any BIOS update release, but I found a solution. Well, it's a third party utility, but it's better than nothing. This utility is widely known as ThrottleStop, and can be downloaded from here:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Ben ... Stop.shtml

Also, a detailed guide to this utility can be found here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardwar ... guide.html

Among others, this program supports four configurable profiles, and can be configured to fall to either "battery" or "performance" profile, according to what power source the laptop is running on. As long as it can be launched silently (minimized), it also can be minimized to tray. If a shortcut is put to Windows Startup section, it can be launched automatically.

I hope this helps anybody who has faced the same problem.

Return to “AMILO Notebook”