Amilo M1437G - Unable to detect new Sata II Harddisk

Moderator: ModTeam

Maximeus
Product(s): Amilo M1437G

Amilo M1437G - Unable to detect new Sata II Harddisk

Postby Maximeus » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:54

Hi,

I've a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo M1437G laptop with a Via VT6421 SATA-controller and a 80 GB Sata Hdd (5400rpm).

Last week I bought a new Hdd (250GB Seagate Momentus 7200.4rpm Sata II ), but the Sata controller doesn't recognize it.

I have updated my bios and loaded (during the Xp installation) the last drivers for my controller, but I doesn't work.

May I ask you if it possible to force the controller to switch to Ide legacy mode (for your information, no option is available in the bios interface)? Or is there another way to recognize the new hdd?

Thank you.

Max

amater
Product(s): Lifebook E8020, Lifebook S7110, Amilo D7830, Amilo Pro V2030, Pocket LOOX N560, Scenic L, Scenic XS, Celsius M460

Re: Amilo M1437G - Unable to detect new Sata II Harddisk

Postby amater » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:02

Is your new HDD detected in the BIOS and only XP installation can't findis? Or is you new HDD not even detected in the BIOS?

Do you have any chance to hook up the new HDD to another PC/notebook - just to try if the disk itself works?
Share your knowledge...

DaGroove
Product(s): Amilo M1437G & Acer Aspire 7730G

Postby DaGroove » Tue Oct 06, 2009 14:55

Do you have any chance to hook up the new HDD to another PC/notebook - just to try if the disk itself works?

A good one, you might want to try that first, although, I am the owner of the same notebook and I have had a similar problem before (this was with installing Windows Vista and Windows XP Professional).

The way I solved it: I borrowed an external USB-floppy drive from a friend of mine and copied the sata drivers on there. Once you get into the boot menu, you can choose to select an other SATA driver, choose the SATA driver which you burned onto your floppy drive.

You can also try to slipstream the drivers into the installation CD/DVD which you currently have.
You can download the program for slipstreaming here.

I have uploaded the sata drivers which I used, though I am really not sure which one of those I used, can't remember.
You can download them here.

I also have a question for you, you said you bought a new hdd (a 250GB one), could you keep me informed if your computer fully recognizes the 250GB one, because mine only seems able to allocate 150GB of an internal harddrive, it doesn't see more than 150GB.
If you would be so kind to reply your findings to me a private message or by visiting my post here, I would really appreciate that!

Goodluck and thanks in advance ;-)

*edit*: typo

Prezesmaks

Postby Prezesmaks » Thu Dec 17, 2009 21:06

Hello Lads,

I can only confirm unfortunately that SATA II Hard Drives are not compatible with Amilo 1437G and I think this info should be posted in official FS FAQ for this particular model. Just bought Western Digital 250GB SATA II HDD (WD2500BEVT) and no detection. BIOS will not recognize any hdd as this info is posted in official FAQ on FS website "support". Just keep watching POST. F2 and pause-release by ESC and again Pause(Break) until you stop at the right moment. Thats what I did. One of you managed to install 250gb but didnt say if its SATAII or I. Could you confirm that info pleease.
I tried to install VIA raid drivers but didnt work (tried 3 different ones from VIA website-USB floppy). Before I get 250gb SATAII I had 160GB SATAI WD as well and it worked fine. POST detected it and simply pressing F12 confirmed it. Listed hdd as one of possible boot options. Oh I even managed to try some jumper settings on 250gb hdd (3 available) but it didnt work either.
The only conclusion I have come up with reading forums all over the world is that SATA II is not supported by Amilo 1437g and probably only BIOS update would solve the issue but I can imagine that FS wont spend any penny more for supporting 5 year old machine. I will be looking into that problem for a couple of weeks now. Ill try new hdds-will try SATAII 160gb to confirm theory and will try SATAI 250gb within 4 weeks so if you bear with me Ill try to confrim it for 110% about SATA II issue. ( some wesite says amilo 1437g can support 500GB :) ). No chance to check this info out, theres already shortage of SATAI 200GB hdd and over but I might find something.
Please let me know here guys if you found some solution yourself. And keep posting!

Cheers
Prez

Prezesmaks

Postby Prezesmaks » Mon Dec 21, 2009 18:28

Hello lads,

Just to let you know that issue has been solved. Or I should say clarified. Just tried Hitachi HDD 250GB SATA I (HTS542525K9SA00; 5K250-250) and it works :)). FS should put info about SATA II hdd issue in AMILO 1437G on main website. But obviously they dont give a sh**.
Do not buy SATA II hdd for AMILO 1437G only SATA I. Double check before purchase.
Over and out.

Prez

u01iz
Product(s): Fujitsu Amilo m1437g

Postby u01iz » Wed Jan 06, 2010 18:54

I have an Amilo M1437G with an 100GB Hitachi HDD.

I just installed an WD Scorpio Blue 500GB and the BIOS does not recognise it.

However I cloned the old 100GB with Acronis TrueImage version 11 to the wd 500GB. What happened is that the
bios still (naturally) didn't recogn. the drive BUT it boots to my favourite windows XP OS.

Happy ending.

laurentl13320

Postby laurentl13320 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 19:39

I have exactly the same problem.
I have a Amilo M 1437G, and I bought different hard drives, all are sata2 because nowadays manufacturers make only sata2 (since sata2 can work also as sata1 drive). The problem is that the bios doesnt detect any of the drive. I have the last bios available for the laptop. Fujitsu Siemens needs to release a newbios because the problem is from the bios itself. I already contacted them but apparently they don't care about this major issue since they just emailed me a link to this forum.

Return to “AMILO Notebook”