[Li1718] Potential Hard Disk replacement?

Moderator: ModTeam

m4loo
Product(s): Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Li1718

[Li1718] Potential Hard Disk replacement?

Postby m4loo » Thu Mar 05, 2009 21:54

I am experiencing a problem with my Hard Drive [I believe] where a message displays upon boot up "SMART failure predicted on Hard Disk 4 Fujitsu MHW20808BH" followed by " Warning: Immediately back up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure maybe imminent. Press F1 to continue". My AMILO Li1718 laptop is only 17months old. The question is: will the fujitsu OS Recovery DVD install a full version of Vista on a replacement hard drive and do I need to do anything else other than back up my files. I am running Vista Home Premium, 32 bit, 2gb RAM, 80gb storage. I thought at first it might have something to with the CMOS battery as the clock started to lose time and it took an age to boot up - any thoughts?

SimonH0
Product(s): Amilo Li 2727, Upgraded to Win XP Sp3, 500Gb HD, Celeron M550 @2Ghz, 4Gb 800 Ram, SMOKING!!
Toshiba 2715 xDVD, Win 2000 SP4
Dell Lattitude D610, Win XP SP2
Dell Inspiron 5000, Win XP SP2

Re: Potential Hard Disk replacement?

Postby SimonH0 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 21:24

The Siemens/Fujitsu recovery disk will rebuilt the hard drive to the "Out of the Box" set up, basically you need to back up all you data and other settings and make sure you have any and all of you other programs available to install again when it has finished.
I seem to remember that the basic set up on the Li2727 is Vista with Office home and student, Nero 7, MS Works and few other little odds and ends. Anything beyond this you need to make sure that you back everything up
Hope this helps
Simon H

macsailaszlo
Product(s): amilo 1720

Postby macsailaszlo » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:56

Hi, I have similar problem, but i think this error message is not come from the windows, it is bios message.
I have started the chkdsk, and everithing is ok on the harddisk.

You can find the solution? Is the errormessag disappered after the system recovery?

sorry for my basic english.

m4loo
Product(s): Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Li1718

Postby m4loo » Thu Mar 26, 2009 21:59

Thank you Simon for the answer I really wanted to hear. I was brave enough to have a go with replacing the original hard drive and upgraded it from 80gb to 160gb. The replacement was straight forward and the recovery disc worked a treat, so I am well chuffed.
Thanks once again.

Return to “AMILO Notebook”