Moderator: ModTeam

Elpy
Product(s): Amilo Xi 3650-002
Lifebook E4010
Lifebook E8410 (work)

[Xi3650] Vista 64bit is slow?

Postby Elpy » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:30

Hi,

I just got this laptop like ive said in other threads. And I installed home premium 64bit right away because I hate the idea of having that 4GB ram restricted to just 3GB because of 32bit. However, the 64bit vista has been giving me problems all the time. Right from the moment I installed it, it felt more clumsy and slow than the 32bit does. Now I tried to play lineage 2 and it just wasnt right, it wasnt working anything like this laptops specs should allow it to.

So I installed 3DMark 06, and ran the basic benchmark on both 32bit and 64bit. 64bit bit got about 2100 which is just terrible, while 32bit got twice as much! 5072 points...

Has anyone got the 64bit vista work? Im using home premium on both. I downloaded all the drivers from FSC. I tried to install drivers from laptopvideo2go.com as well but they didnt work.

misterpirat
Product(s): FSC amilo XI3650

Re: [Xi3650] Vista 64bit is slow?

Postby misterpirat » Mon Feb 23, 2009 23:53

hello i am using vista x64, and it is working well

personally and after ran 3dmark06 in both i thnk that x86 is better in graphics and we have the answer !!
when vista have more ram ite allocate more memory for graphics (2301) on 64bit
but for more 3d performance the best way is tu use dedicated memory on the 9600m gt (512gddr3)

i forgot the results of 3dmark on vista 32bit but i run it yesterday and a got about 7290 3dmarks on 1280x800
and overclocked
gpu 680
memory 970
shaders 1700
(non overclocked on 1280x1024 should be 5400 3dmarks)
im using the 179.48_notebook_winvista_64bit_beta drivers (hybrid disabled on bios)
pross:5.4 :cry:
ram:5.9
aero:5.9
jeux:5.7 :D
ddur:5.9 (raid0)

try these drivers from nvidi official website and give the 3dmark results ;)

(sory for bad enlish)

Elpy
Lifebook E4010
Lifebook E8410 (work)

Postby Elpy » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:28

Actually I managed to fix this, there was something wrong with power manager and it was throttling the CPU even when it wasnt supposed to (silent mode). Somehow fixed this and got it working. However 3dmark is giving me around 5100 with non-clocked settings. But I think that the difference could be caused by the graphics driver. I tried to install the new ones but they didnt work (cos of hybrid), but damn I never realized that I could get them work if I just take the hybrid mode off from bios :D. I even noticed that setting there.

Ill try today without the hybrid mode and with newer drivers. How's the heat on your computer btw, and fan noise? For me it seems to be a problem when CPU is under load. CPU goes around 64 celcius and GPU around 82-85celcius when playing for example, which causes the fan to spin fast enough to be annoying. I undervolted the CPU yesterday and now its giving me 58-60celcius under load which is already a big improvement. However GPU is still so darn hot. I emailed FSC and asked if I could change the original thermal paste on the laptop (which usually sucks) to Arctic Silver 5 without losing warranty.

But ill try the new driver today and check how it does :)

//bah, got a answer that only an FSC approved service can open the laptop and change thermal paste without warranty being void... Oh well, I work at same place with one of the approved companies so I'll ask them how much it would cost.

misterpirat

Postby misterpirat » Tue Feb 24, 2009 18:57

nice idea to change thermal paste :D

so, on overclocked game play , im playing GTA4 for long hours on 1280*800 max textures, and it is really playable, no lag. i can also play on highter resolution but of course sould decrase texture
for maw overclock (gpu680 vram 970 shader ) it crashes after long hours game play so i go back to vista and make vram down to 930 without closing game a i return plying.
for the overclocking i use 6.02_nvidia_system_tools after bios update from FSC whish contain V_Bios to enable overclock
the max gpu temp is around 80/85°C

I would know some thing, how do you undervolted your cpu ???
Have you find a solution to overclock it (mine is a t9400 @2.53Ghz)
or do you know the PLL to use overclocking programs like setfsb or clockgen ??
it is really useful!! i don't care about fan noise i can use a notepad to cool down the notebook.

and thnxxx.

Elpy
Lifebook E4010
Lifebook E8410 (work)

Postby Elpy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:11

I changed the the thermal paste to CPU but atleast I didnt notice any results immediately. However Arctic Silver will take some time before it reaches its real performance (break in period, even up to 200hours according to arctic silver, however I've seen people say that normal use for a week should show some results). So I'll be testing it after some time to see if the results are better :).

What I was a bit disappointed was that I couldnt put Arctic silver on the GPU :(. GPU had a thermal pad which is about 1mm thick. So when I tried to put arctic silver there, it didnt even touch the heat pipe causing GPU temperature rise to 200°C which is obviously bad :D. So I had to put the thermal pad back there. That is quite sad since the GPU is the hottest part of the laptop. However the original thermal pad was already a bit broken (had a few cracks) so I ordered new thermal pad for it from ebay. Will probably take about 1 week or something like that to receive it, but will test it then. With good luck it could lower the heat a bit :), the bad side of course is that when I want to test that, I'll have to do the break in period for Arctic silver again :D.

I tried the same nvidia drivers that you are using, but it gave me only 100 point difference in 3dmark so I sticked to the FSC hybrid drivers. I like the idea of being able to use the internal GPU in case i need to save battery :), although I dont know if there will ever be a situation like that since the mobility of this laptop is close to 0 :D.

About undervolting: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=235824

There's a great guide. I managed to lower my CPU temps about 3-5°C. Original voltage was 1.175 if i remember right and i managed to lower it down to 1.025 or something like that.

I havent really looked into overclocking CPU since im personally not going to take the risk :), overclocking CPU is way more risky that overclocking a GPU, so I really wouldnt suggest it to you either ;)

What laptop cooler are you using btw? And how much does it affect your temperature? And how loud is the cooler? I bought a zalman NC2000 but I returned it since I didnt really see much of a result..

misterpirat

Postby misterpirat » Fri Mar 06, 2009 19:32

Elpy wrote:I changed the the thermal paste to CPU but atleast I didnt notice any results immediately. However Arctic Silver will take some time before it reaches its real performance (break in period, even up to 200hours according to arctic silver, however I've seen people say that normal use for a week should show some results). So I'll be testing it after some time to see if the results are better :).

What I was a bit disappointed was that I couldnt put Arctic silver on the GPU :(. GPU had a thermal pad which is about 1mm thick. So when I tried to put arctic silver there, it didnt even touch the heat pipe causing GPU temperature rise to 200°C which is obviously bad :D. So I had to put the thermal pad back there. That is quite sad since the GPU is the hottest part of the laptop. However the original thermal pad was already a bit broken (had a few cracks) so I ordered new thermal pad for it from ebay. Will probably take about 1 week or something like that to receive it, but will test it then. With good luck it could lower the heat a bit :), the bad side of course is that when I want to test that, I'll have to do the break in period for Arctic silver again :D.

I tried the same nvidia drivers that you are using, but it gave me only 100 point difference in 3dmark so I sticked to the FSC hybrid drivers. I like the idea of being able to use the internal GPU in case i need to save battery :), although I dont know if there will ever be a situation like that since the mobility of this laptop is close to 0 :D.

About undervolting: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=235824

There's a great guide. I managed to lower my CPU temps about 3-5°C. Original voltage was 1.175 if i remember right and i managed to lower it down to 1.025 or something like that.

I havent really looked into overclocking CPU since im personally not going to take the risk :), overclocking CPU is way more risky that overclocking a GPU, so I really wouldnt suggest it to you either ;)

What laptop cooler are you using btw? And how much does it affect your temperature? And how loud is the cooler? I bought a zalman NC2000 but I returned it since I didnt really see much of a result..

hello Elpy i think that the 200 hours are end!! so what s the result :D
did you find a solution for the gpu ?? and a quick question where is it located i cant find it i want to know what type of MXM is it ??
and for the cooler i ddnt use any cooler i think when i tried a bensh the cpus are on max the temp is 54 or some thing like that for both cores .what are yours ?

And dont forgot to see my post about overclocking hein ?

peaky
Product(s): xi 3650

Postby peaky » Sun Jun 28, 2009 16:30

The gpu is soldered on the board to the right side of the cpu there is to sinks over the ram , so no
it is not mxm and shares the same heatsink as the processor thats why it gets so flaming hot

Return to “AMILO Notebook”