[AMILO Li1818] Li1818 Wireless Connection

Moderator: ModTeam

RPaulJones

[AMILO Li1818] Li1818 Wireless Connection

Postby RPaulJones » Mon Feb 04, 2008 19:30

Hi, I recently set up a wireless connection on my friend's Li1818 using a BT router. Everything looks OK (I used the WPA2 encryption) but whenever I switch the lap-top on it takes between five and ten minutes before it finds the signal and connects wirelessly. Does anyone know why it is so slow?

Also the signal is only average when the router is about 10 metres (30 feet) away. The router is currently located behind the monitor of the desk-top with the box itself under the desk. Should the router being a certain distance away from the desk-top?

Any assistance or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

matt-hall-08
Product(s): Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Li 1718.

Postby matt-hall-08 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 21:27

Hi,

I would recommend that you do not place the router near computers, mobile phones, or TV's, as well as other wireless devices, also check the range of your router some have up to 30m, some go up to 100, and even 200m, (the high end models), These factors can seriously affect the signal. Also, trying placing it as high as possible can help to achieve the best range possible. And make sure that the antenna is pointing directly upwards, this can also strengthen the signal.

As for the wireless taking a while, have you set it up in the BIOS to turn wireless on automatically or do you press the button on the laptop? This is the case on my Amilo Li 1718, and I have to wait untill my firewall software loads before I can turn on wireless using a button that is above the keyboard, which uses a programme called Lauch Manager. I assume you have this installed. Please inform of what you situation is on the button?!

Thanks and hope this helps,

Matt
Last edited by matt-hall-08 on Wed Feb 06, 2008 19:22, edited 1 time in total.
Amilo Li 1718, Core Duo, Vista Home Premium, 896MB RAM +128MB used for Graphics!!, 98.1GB HDD, 12GB used for System Recovery! For £349.99!

RPaulJones

Re: Amilo Li1818 Wireless Connection

Postby RPaulJones » Mon Feb 04, 2008 21:44

Hi Matt,

Thanks for responding and for your recommendations. Very useful. Sorry my fault for posting this messeage three times. My PC froze and I thought that my original request hadn't been sent.

We activate the wireless connection by switching on the button at the front of the keyboard. I haven't touched the BIOS and I'm not sure what 'Launch Manager' is?

Thanks

matt-hall-08

Postby matt-hall-08 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 22:01

Ok, glad you found my tips useful. Launch Manager is just the application that allows you to use that button. I tend to let my Amilo load before lauching the wireless, but after you have pressed it, you shouldn't be waiting a long time for it to connect to your router!

If you do find yourself waiting a long time, I suggest you try different levels of security and different channels, i believe over 11 is not ideal! Try between 1-6 and make sure that the signal is not been interferred with by nearby access points. Usually this can be done by connecting to the router using http://192.168.1.1 to see if that can speed things up.

Also, updating the drivers is always a good thing to do! Try and find the maker and model of you wireless adapter and see what you can find.

Just post back if you want to ask me anything else, I will try my best to help!

Matt
Amilo Li 1718, Core Duo, Vista Home Premium, 896MB RAM +128MB used for Graphics!!, 98.1GB HDD, 12GB used for System Recovery! For £349.99!

RPaulJones

Postby RPaulJones » Mon Feb 04, 2008 22:18

Matt many thanks for this.

I updated the software for the BT Router yesterday. With regards to the wireless adapter can I find that in Device Manager? And then do I update the driver etc. from the manufacturers web site or from the FS site?

Can I confirm that's best to power up the lap-top and allow time for the anti-virus software to install etc (we're using Norton IS 2008) before switching on the wireless connection? If yes, I will try this on the weekend and see how we get on.

Also I'm using a WPA/WPA2 auth instead of WEP because I was told it would make the connection more secure. Is that OK?

Being at the router is behind the monitor and on the desk above the desk-top box is it best to move the router (it's connected to the PC via an Ethernet cable) as far away (and as high) from the computer as possible?

Thanks again. Your advice and help has been greatly appreciated.

Cheers

matt-hall-08

Postby matt-hall-08 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 22:37

Yes, you should be able to find it in the Device Manager under Network Components, and you could try the manufacturer and the FSC website, to see which turns out best.

I personally find that letting my OneCare (firewall and anti virus) appear in my taskbar, and then switching the wireless on is the best thing to do on my laptop, anyway. Not much experience with Norton though.

I was told once that it is a security feature that if you don't allow your software to load, that internet connections are disabled, maybe it's just a myth but I find that it works with my Desktop as well, that won't let me on the net, even though its connected via wired Ethernet, Firefox just loads and loads, and it gets me nowhere untill I let OneCare appear!

Yes your current security setting is securer than simple WEP because of the bit of encyription. Sounds complicated! Basically its harder to hack! But its worth a try experimenting and seeing which level works best with the laptop!

Moving the router as far away from the computer is a very good idea to aviod any interference, but make sure the router is well ventliated and that the air can circulate all the way around the router! Just experiement with different channels and try the low level security!

Best of luck with this, If my advice doesn't work, try googling the problem, the internet is a big place!

Thanks,
Matt

RPaulJones

Postby RPaulJones » Mon Feb 04, 2008 23:13

Thanks again Matt. Really grateful for your help and guidance.

I will give this all a try on the weekend and fingers crossed that everything works!

Best wishes.

matt-hall-08

Postby matt-hall-08 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 20:55

Best of luck with that one.

Be sure to post back.

Thanks for bringing up your problem, its great being able to lend a helping hand!

Best Wishes,

Matt

Return to “AMILO Notebook”