When FSC will start building really silent laptops ??

Moderator: ModTeam

gumisio

When FSC will start building really silent laptops ??

Postby gumisio » Sun Dec 02, 2007 13:06

I own Fujitsu Siemens laptop Amilo series (1650g), and doing some vacuum I have
found that there is SEI fan installed ( H5513B05HD) DC 5V 0,45 A. I guess SEI is
former brand of current Deplhi division. Back to the topic : it's been more
than 1 year I 've been working on this laptop and I must admit, that this 2
ball bearing seems to work quite noisy. I have compared my model to another
"the same and almost the same" that use SEI fans and it seems - this is common
feature of this kind of bearing. The noise - like mosquito plus low frequency
whimper, some brr when at full speed overcomes even the hum of the air.

I know - laptops are quite thin, temperatures are high and ball bearing
seems to be an economic solution, but for my ears after 8-10 hours of work with
full load and cooling fan making noise-it is to much. More - after 2 hours or
something I feel dizzy, can't focus etc, because of noise.

My question is - with current technology , are You Sirs capable to install
cooling fan that will produce less than 28 dBa and reasonable airflow?

I observe achievements of Scythe, Papst, Zalman at this area and I see quite
nice improvements are still made .

My laptop would be quite great and silent (in 800 Mhz the fan is off due to
AMD powernow technology), but I need full power to run my applications - and
for Turion ML32 (Lancaster core) it is 1,8Ghz (35watt cpu).

Temps for CPU are - idle 37-44 C, load - 50-62C. Now I am testing Arctic
Silver 5 thermalpaste. After break in period, I will know more.

If only the fan will work at - lets say 20 dBa or even less, I presume - it
would be bearable. Maybe Fluid bearing could be more silent ?

When will FSC start manufacture really quiet laptops? Bigger heatsinks, Sodium Sulfate Decahydrate like ixoft underneath keyboard to dissipate the heat, better cooling fans???

It is easy to make an easy buck and load laptops with powerful cpu , gpu and stuff, but to make it almost inaudible - it is real ART of building mobile solutions!

propediotika
Product(s): Amilo M7440

Re: When FSC will start building really silent laptops ??

Postby propediotika » Fri Dec 07, 2007 13:27

Q:When FSC will start building really silent laptops ??
A:Never... :D
FSC Amilo M7440

ronin4

Postby ronin4 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 18:11

Hi ive got the Amilo too, sorry couldnt hear the rest of what you were saying, could you speak up abit, its this damn laptop...................... :wink:

BattleStar

Postby BattleStar » Mon Jan 14, 2008 23:13

Hahaha, i got my Xa 2528 today and the fan spins all the time, dvd-rw is also noisy. I will give it a week and see if i can get used to it and if not it goes back.

amater
Product(s): Lifebook E8020, Lifebook S7110, Amilo D7830, Amilo Pro V2030, Pocket LOOX N560, Scenic L, Scenic XS, Celsius M460

Postby amater » Mon Jan 14, 2008 23:38

You want a quiet notebook, buy a Lifebook not Amilo.

I have a Lifebook E8020 & S7110 and they are completly silent.

And another tip. If you buy a notebook, any notebook don't buy one that has "external" graphic card as they produce more heat and thus the cooling fans have to run more and produce more noise.

Get the notebook with integrated graphics. If you want to play games, notebook is not the thing 4 you. Buy your selfe a PC with a killah graphics card and play games there. Or even better, buy a game console like PS2 or Xbox.

Notebooks are for office use ONLY and office use doesn't include games (other than solitare:)
Share your knowledge...

BattleStar

Re:

Postby BattleStar » Tue Jan 15, 2008 0:34

amater wrote:You want a quiet notebook, buy a Lifebook not Amilo.

I have a Lifebook E8020 & S7110 and they are completly silent.

And another tip. If you buy a notebook, any notebook don't buy one that has "external" graphic card as they produce more heat and thus the cooling fans have to run more and produce more noise.

Get the notebook with integrated graphics. If you want to play games, notebook is not the thing 4 you. Buy your selfe a PC with a killah graphics card and play games there. Or even better, buy a game console like PS2 or Xbox.

Notebooks are for office use ONLY and office use doesn't include games (other than solitare:)

Lifebook you say, i will take a peek at that series - thanks for the info.
Amilo Xa 2528 (Turion X2 1.9GHz, 160GB hdd)

Baz3001

Re:

Postby Baz3001 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 14:29

amater wrote:You want a quiet notebook, buy a Lifebook not Amilo.

Quoted for truth. You get what you pay for... Lifebooks are more expensive, but the quality of build is better.

sepiotr

Postby sepiotr » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:37

I've had two Amilo si1520, one with a exchange of motherboard. Two of these motherboard was so noisy I couldn't use the laptop. The second computer was sent in for service since it can not handle audio and video without glithces (klicks and "freezes").. which the first Amilo couldn't either by the way.

The computer came back from service with the problem still there :shock: and with high noise and piiping levels from the new motherboard that wasn't there to nealry the same degree before it went in for service. The noise is now so loud it mathces the first Amilo I bought and hence it is useless.

The annoying sounds is not coming from the HD or fan, it seems to come from lousy parts on the motherboard. Oscilators/clocks, microprocessors and other chips often vibrate to a small degree.. sometimes more sometimes less and can create resonances in the motherboard and other structures in the "non-damped" laptop.

The scary thing is right now I'm typing on a Packard Bell that is completely silent.. for half the price of the amilo. It also run audiofiles without problems which the Amilo can not so far.

The even more scary thing is FSC attitude to this well known problem. A bulletin went out to Swedish service partners (FSC doesn't repair their own products but outsource this part) were FSC said they are aware about the noise problems but there is nothing that can be done to the situation.. :shock: How about taking a look at other CHEAPER BETTER laptops from other companies???

Swedish techies feel that FSC computers are of relatively poor quality since they often have to repair and troubleshoot these and they feel that they are more noisy than other laptops. That should be read as "much to noisy".

If you want quality and good customer support chances are you have better luck with other companies.

/Peter

BattleStar

Postby BattleStar » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:36

For a gamer the Xa 2528 is ok, performance is ok and you can always use a headset but for me i cant take the fan noise when working. I am discussing with the shop where i bought my Xa 2528 if i can swap it for a HP 6710b C2D 2GHz with integrated intel x3100 graphics. Does anyone know the noise level on the HP's?

shandy

Got an Amilo PRO V3545 and

Postby shandy » Thu Jan 17, 2008 19:53

it's a nice 'n quite notebook, can't complain. Before I had an Amilo PRO V2045 and that thing was a completely different story - it was like a chopper ready to take off...plus its lid would just develop cracks for no reason whatsoever....though I remember I found a solution - I just undervolted the CPU at all available frequencies (it was an "old" Pentium-M735 @ 1,73 MHz) and the fan would merely turn on...which I can't do with my new 3545 since it's got a Core 2 duo with can't go under the native value of 0.850 Volts. But it's not really necessary - the fan turns itself on every like two to three minutes for a couple of seconds and the fan is also very quite so I can live with that. In linux I can at least undervolt the two "upper" frequencies, the lowest one being unchangeable just as it is in Windoze and any other OS for that matter as it's a hardware thing that simply can't be tricked...So, I'm happy with what I've got now. With everything adjusted the right way I also have a decent battery life - about 3,5 hours which if you take into account the fact that the lappy hasn't got an integrated graphics but an Nvidia Geforce Go 7300 and it's a 1280x800 15,4 Wxga ain't that bad at all...all in all I can recommend this piece!

matt-hall-08
Product(s): Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Li 1718.

Postby matt-hall-08 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 18:57

When the whole world is under the sea and brands like Advent have a good reputation! :D

Johny Pelcik

AMILO Pro V3545

Postby Johny Pelcik » Sun Jan 20, 2008 19:21

no problem with noise, silent as a grave :-)
works as a swiss watches :-)

but my sister has Amilo La 1703 and the laptop is really hot, I mean the hot air that goes from it, and the dvd drive is noisy too.....

BattleStar

Postby BattleStar » Sun Jan 20, 2008 23:17

Has anyone with noisy amilo's tried a notebook cooler?

sepiotr

Postby sepiotr » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:41

A cooler can only affect the fan. The problems often comes from the electronics.

/Peter

www.rzr.free.fr

Re: When FSC will start building really silent laptops ??

Postby www.rzr.free.fr » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:06

propediotika wrote:Q:When FSC will start building really silent laptops ??
A:Never... :D

what this image ? do FSC sell ubuntu supported hardware ?

Return to “AMILO Notebook”