[Amilo Li1718] Can't turn on wireless under XP

Moderator: ModTeam

rasmack

[Amilo Li1718] Can't turn on wireless under XP

Postby rasmack » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:13

I just "downgraded" my Amilo 1718 to XP for all the usual reasons (speeeeed!). All went rather well. ATI drivers installed. Realtek and HD audio installed. Even the wireless driver installed nicely (Atheros 5007EG). The only problem is that this laptop features a button to turn the wireless card on/off and this button does not work on XP. I consequently have a wireless card reporting "This device cannot start". I tried installing the Atheros Client Utility which will report that "The radio was successfully turned on" in quite obvious contradiction with the truth.

Have anyone managed to get wireless working under XP? I see my problem reported in other threads with no solution. I have tried a bunch of different drivers with no result. The button stays dead.

tenchiten
Product(s): Frankenputers

Postby tenchiten » Thu Oct 25, 2007 13:37

Hello,
No guarantees but did you try this site:

http://www.centerzone.it/guide/amilo-li ... er-xp.html

If all else has failed you could give it a go, how's your Italian ? :)
Post back and let us know if it helped.
Learning all the time.

rasmack

Been there, done that...

Postby rasmack » Thu Oct 25, 2007 19:46

Sorry, already been there... :(

Thanks anyway :)

matt-hall-08
Product(s): Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Li 1718.

FSC Launch Manager

Postby matt-hall-08 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 19:25

Hey,

To Launch wireless on this Amilo you need a piece of software called Launch Manger. Try http://www.fujitsu-siemens.co.uk/support/downloads.html and see if its available. It may not be listed under XP so when asked for operating system choose Vista ,its worth a try to see if the Vista one works alright! Look under Tools and Utilities on the downloads section. Hope this helps and let me know how you get on. Really, you should have checked this out before downgrading to XP, to avoid the situation you are in now. Is there anyway you can upgrade to Vista again free of charge?

Thanks
Matt

mickS

Postby mickS » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:55

Matt,

You pointed my problem!!
I downgraded to Vista but how do I get de Vista-version backup online. There is a hidden partition with Vista but how do I recover/restore it. With Vista you should boot the system, use F8 and choose 'recovery'. In XP there isn't such an option.

What can I do??

Mick

Bejje
Product(s): Myrica VQ32-1T

Re:

Postby Bejje » Mon Feb 11, 2008 17:00

mickS wrote:Matt,

You pointed my problem!!
I downgraded to Vista but how do I get de Vista-version backup online. There is a hidden partition with Vista but how do I recover/restore it. With Vista you should boot the system, use F8 and choose 'recovery'. In XP there isn't such an option.

What can I do??

Mick

Seems like you might be in trouble. I hope that you created the recovery discs before you installed XP? If you did, then just boot from the first DVD to start the installation. If you forgot to create these discs you can buy recovery discs from http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/recovery
// David

matt-hall-08
Product(s): Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Li 1718.

Re: [AMILO Li1718] Can't turn on wireless under XP

Postby matt-hall-08 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 17:17

On system startup, enter the BIOs by pressing F2.

Go to Advanced:

and under default networking or something like that, select Wireless LAN, and the wireless adapter should be turned on shortly after loading up XP, it may take a minute or two.

Sorry for digging up a rather old thread, but i've just done the solution above myself.

Hope it works for you,

Matt
Amilo Li 1718, Core Duo, Vista Home Premium, 896MB RAM +128MB used for Graphics!!, 98.1GB HDD, 12GB used for System Recovery! For £349.99!

Return to “AMILO Notebook”