[D8820] Problems - Stop Error Message

Moderator: ModTeam

goodtyneguy

[D8820] Problems - Stop Error Message

Postby goodtyneguy » Fri Jun 29, 2007 15:43

Two problems I'm afraid one more serious than the other.

My machine crashed with the stop error KERNAL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR when I tried re-booting, it reported "a disk error has occured press CTRL ALT DEL to restart, of course it did n't and I repeatedly got the same message. Prior to this I have had a number of instances where my machine has just switched off for no apparent reason preceeded by excessive noise from the fan. I'm 99% convinced it is not caused by malware because of my religious attention to internet security and the up to date anti-malware proggies I am running (AVG anti-virus and spyware, spyware blaster, windows defender, spybot S&D, Ad aware, CCleaner, A squared, spyware guard, sygate firewall). Overheating I suspect, is there a fix for this?

I proceeded to recover my system using the recovery CD I received when I purchased my machine but then remembered it does n't work. Device manager reports it working correctly and enabled. Ok, so that leaves the floppy drive, that is working. I used a friends computer to downloded to floppys 6 boot disk form Microsofts' website and got my machine started. It immediately went into checkdisk of it's own volition and then booted normally, I used it for a while but it has "blue screened" a few times reporting the following stop errors: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION and KERNAL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR

The current state is that it has crashed and reporting "Unable to find an operating system".

Any help appreciated, thanks in advance.
|Fujitsu Siemens Amilo D8820 | Intel P4 2.8GHz | SIS645DX | 512MB DDR SDRAM | Fujitsu MHS2060AT 60GB HDD| ATI Radeon 900 Mobility 64MB external DDR SDRA | QSI CDRW/DVD SBW-241 | Cirrus logic CS4299 |

| XP Home SP3 |

Trudl

Postby Trudl » Fri Jun 29, 2007 17:32

Hello,

your hard disk is defective. Buy a new one and replace it.

goodtyneguy

Re:

Postby goodtyneguy » Fri Jun 29, 2007 18:01

Trudl wrote:Hello,

your hard disk is defective. Buy a new one and replace it.

I was afraid someone would say that.

Any recommendations for a new one please and is there some where I can go to get instructions on how to replace it?

Thanks.
|Fujitsu Siemens Amilo D8820 | Intel P4 2.8GHz | SIS645DX | 512MB DDR SDRAM | Fujitsu MHS2060AT 60GB HDD| ATI Radeon 900 Mobility 64MB external DDR SDRA | QSI CDRW/DVD SBW-241 | Cirrus logic CS4299 |

| XP Home SP3 |

Trudl

Postby Trudl » Fri Jun 29, 2007 18:34

Hello,

I can recommend a 160GB/5400RPM hard disk from Seagate (perpendicular
recording). This hard disk is very silent and fast.

About replacing: I found a manual at this site but no word about
replacing hard disk.
Look at the bottom of your laptop. There must be at least 2 screws that
holds the disk in place. Remove the screws and pull the disk out.

goodtyneguy

Postby goodtyneguy » Fri Jun 29, 2007 19:54

Thanks for the recommendation.

Perpendicular recording?

I think the HDD is seen after the CD/DVD is slid out from the case. If I'm correct I think there are four tiny screws holding it in place. Is it just a simple task of removing the old and slotting the new when in then installing the OP system etc.

I am going to try and copy the info from my old drive before removing, can you recommend a storage medium for this? I was thinking of buying a HDD I could attach to a USB port for backing up in future, is this a good idea?

| XP Home SP3 |

Trudl

Postby Trudl » Fri Jun 29, 2007 20:11

Perpendicular recording allows to store more information on the same hard disk platter space.
An external USB hard disk drive is an excellent idea.
But if the notebook hard disk is dead it would be difficult to get the stored informations. In this case you should have a backup up of all
your important files.

goodtyneguy

Postby goodtyneguy » Fri Jun 29, 2007 20:43

I've stupidly never had a back up policy, mind you I've never had anything crucial to store.

On the first occasion after I got my machine restarted I copied some stuff to a couple of USB sticks. I'll obtain a USB HDD before attempting to start it up again and copy the disk if possible. I'm stuck if I can't because if I replace the HDD I'll not be able to use the recovery CD and the CD with Utilities and drivers I got when I purchased my machine. The CD/DVD is not working as mentioned in my OP???

Will be getting into the habit of backing up regularly fom now on.

| XP Home SP3 |

Return to “AMILO Notebook”