[Amilo M] 3438G freeze/black scrn silent buttn resolves

Moderator: ModTeam

makdaddy

[Amilo M] 3438G freeze/black scrn silent buttn resolves

Postby makdaddy » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:27

Hi !

I have browsed through other threads and checked the FAQ but i am unable to find a thread with the same problem i am experiencing. I hope somebody can help / shed some light on this one

Over the last few days my 3438G has been freezing for a second then the screen blacks out for another second then it resumes as normal for a minute or 2 then the freeze / blackout happens again....this then cycles repeatedly

If i switch on silent mode or run from battery it resolves the issue ! ...no freezing or momentary black screens.

I dont have to be doing or running anything in particular, the problem begins after the machine has booted.

when i have the mains power connected, during the boot sequence it mostly appears OK, windows splash screen & welcome screen show as normal but occasionaly there is some randomly discoloured pixels. once booted and on the windows desktop the problem explained above begins.

I have had the machine from new for 14 months, up until now fault free.

Help !

Many thanks

Iain

System Spec.

Notebook:
Amilo M3483G
CPU:
Intel Pentium M 760 @ 2000 MHz
RAM:
1024 MB RAM (2 x 512 DDR2-SDRAM )
GPU:
Nvidia Corp GeForce 6800 Go [NV41.8]
HDD:
ST98823A (80 GB)
CD/DVD:
HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4082N
XP Home Edition 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2

Bluehair

Postby Bluehair » Mon Jan 08, 2007 15:18

Hi -- Does your whole system freeze or is it only the screen? When your screen is black, is it really black or can you still see a faint image on it (if yes, your lcd inverter may be faulty; this component powers up your lcd's backlight)? Does this happen when you boot Windows in Safe Mode (-> driver issue)? What happens if you hit Fn+F4 four times while your screen is black?

I suggest you plug in an external monitor and check whether the same problem occurs. If not, your graphics card is probably not involved. It may be your video cable that has gotten loose somehow.

But if you say that running on the battery or downcloking the motherboard/gpu speed (what the silent mode does) solves the issue, it may be the sign of an overheating problem. You should watch the temperature of your CPU/GPU/HDD. These programs can help you for that:

- CPU and HHD: Mobile Meter 0.3.1.0, Notebook Hardware Control
- GPU : NVIDIA Control Panel

The presence of dust in the system fan or in the rear heatsink can degrade heat dissipation and cause unpredictable running issues.

makdaddy

Re:

Postby makdaddy » Mon Jan 08, 2007 16:13

Bluehair wrote:Hi -- Does your whole system freeze or is it only the screen?

im finding it difficult to tell.

If i am say playing some music via winamp the audio will glitch while the display freezes and blanks out then resume when the display resumes.

But when i am typing ( as i am here ) the dislplay will go through the motions of its fault yet my continious typing will be unaffected.

Bluehair wrote: When your screen is black, is it really black or can you still see a faint image on it (if yes, your lcd inverter may be faulty; this component powers up your lcd's backlight)?

i beleive the display really is totally black for the moment it is off, unless the feint image is really difficult to see.

Bluehair wrote:Does this happen when you boot Windows in Safe Mode (-> driver issue)?

not sure, i did boot to safe mode at one point but it was getting very late and i cant remember if i was using mains power / silent mode or battery power at the time

Bluehair wrote:What happens if you hit Fn+F4 four times while your screen is black?.

what does this invoke ? ..and im not sure i would have the time to do it 4 times the display only blacks out momentarily, i will give it a go though.

Bluehair wrote:I suggest you plug in an external monitor and check whether the same problem occurs. If not, your graphics card is probably not involved. It may be your video cable that has gotten loose somehow.

OK that sounds like a nice easy eliminator, except the m3438g only has a dvi output and i have no compatible devices, i will however be visiting a friend that does over the next day or so.

Bluehair wrote:But if you say that running on the battery or downcloking the motherboard/gpu speed (what the silent mode does) solves the issue, it may be the sign of an overheating problem. You should watch the temperature of your CPU/GPU/HDD. These programs can help you for that:

- CPU and HHD: Mobile Meter 0.3.1.0, Notebook Hardware Control
- GPU : NVIDIA Control Panel

The presence of dust in the system fan or in the rear heatsink can degrade heat dissipation and cause unpredictable running issues.

Thanks for the links !

I removed the main back panel and blew out the dust from the fan and surrounding areas, this has made no difference.

I also monitored the CPU & GPU temps for a while last night.

CPu was running at 53 deg.

GPU was running at 66 Deg.

both of those reading were with the mains power on, fans running 100%. and with the fault happening every 15-20 secs.

Many thanks for your interest and help !

Iain

Bluehair

Postby Bluehair » Mon Jan 08, 2007 18:34

You're welcome :)

There exists DVI->VGA converters; I got mine from my desktop ATI board, it came with it when I bought it.

Fn+F4 basically turns on/off the LCD panel; it is normally used in conjunction with an external monitor when you want to select the active display (LCD, external or both -- depends on how many times you hit the key). If this is a screen-related problem (possible from what you say -- no interrupted typing), you might find that this turning on/off suddenly reactivates your panel.

Your temperatures look OK, this is most likely not an overheating situation. Notebook Hardware Control also allows you to cap the CPU speed @ 800MHz (in "Max. Battery" mode); this might help you temporarily.

I also suggest that you check your RAM modules by using them singly. One of them may be defective.

Finally, about using an external monitor, you don't have to do anything to make it work: just turn off your computer before plugging the ext. display, then the image will show up instantly when you restart it.

makdaddy

Postby makdaddy » Mon Jan 08, 2007 21:34

Booted to safe mode & plugged in mains power...10 mins of use and not a single glitch.

returned windows to normal and plugged the mains in again...same error.

Checked the event logs as found this

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7022
Date: 08/01/2007
Time: 20:26:32
Description:
The NVIDIA Display Driver Service service hung on starting.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Does this mean i should find and install the nvidia drivers for the geforce 68000 go ??
Last edited by makdaddy on Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:39, edited 1 time in total.

makdaddy

Postby makdaddy » Tue Jan 09, 2007 0:17

OK , i am Sorted :)

hopefully..as last time i tried to make this post (about 30mins ago) my computer crashed mid post.

so...

booted to safe mode and uninstalled the video drivers then booted to windows normally and re-installed the latest video driver 78.10 from FSC

this lasted about 6 mins then crashed.

Did the same again but with the previous release if the driver 72.50 and so far so good.. its been around 20 mins now.

Thanks to bluehair for your help ! and fingers crossed i wont be back again with the same issue :D

Bluehair

Postby Bluehair » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:41

Glad to hear that!

If you have kept the original video BIOS (v39.49), then you won't be able to use any ForceWare drivers above version 7x.xx. I have written a tutorial sometime ago about upgrading to the BIOS that fixes that:

http://forum.ts.fujitsu.com/forum ... hp?t=16677

And just for your information, I currently have ForceWare 95.97 installed (for several months) -- they work just fine.

Cya ;)

makdaddy

Re:

Postby makdaddy » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:43

* uncrosses fingers and curses under breath * gggrrr.r........

approx 24 hrs after my machine has been running OK the same problem came back :cry:

Bluehair wrote:Glad to hear that!

If you have kept the original video BIOS (v39.49), then you won't be able to use any ForceWare drivers above version 7x.xx. I have written a tutorial sometime ago about upgrading to the BIOS that fixes that:

http://forum.ts.fujitsu.com/forum ... hp?t=16677

And just for your information, I currently have ForceWare 95.97 installed (for several months) -- they work just fine.

Cya ;)

thanks, when i get home from work tonight i will read your tutorial

Iain

makdaddy

Postby makdaddy » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:38

well, without doing anything to my system its now OK again

*confused but happy*

makdaddy

Postby makdaddy » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:19

im back :( same problem

back in jan the resolved issue never lasted long before it came back again.

since then i have followed bluehairs tutorial and updated the Bios and have tried several different driver releases ( all the ones available from FSC ).

no joy.

I then tried removing one of the 512mb ram sticks from the laptop... bingo ! it booted with the power cable in and ran on full cpu for a good hour or so, then i shut it down and swapped the memory sticks over to see if it would boot OK with the other memory stick.. it wouldnt, original problem was occurring.

so i swapped them back to the ram stick that booted up OK and tried again... no joy :( i guess the previous successfull boot was just a fluke as i have tried and tried again without suceess

I guess its just time to send it back for a service ( a few months out of warranty too GGrrrrrr !! )

unless anyone has any further suggestions ?

Does anyone know of any utilities to test Nvidia Ram ?

Many Thanks

Iain Mak

Bluehair

Postby Bluehair » Sun Mar 04, 2007 15:29

Hi again,

Have you been able to check with an external monitor?

Besides, when your screen is black can you see something if you aim a flashlight straight on it? It could be your inverter board that is malfunctioning -- this is a high voltage DC->AC transformer whose only role is to power the lcd's CCFL (i.e. its backlight, Cold Cathode Fluorescence Light). I have heard of 3 people lately that had to change it on their 3438.

Finally, if you play music in loop mode, does it continue to play normally when the "blackout" happens?

makdaddy

Re:

Postby makdaddy » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:02

Bluehair wrote:Hi again,

hello ! and thanks again for your interest in my ongoing problem

Bluehair wrote:Have you been able to check with an external monitor?

This i intend to do tomorrow, i did have a DVI > VGA converter ..it was in the box all along ( im so slack )

Bluehair wrote:Besides, when your screen is black can you see something if you aim a flashlight straight on it? It could be your inverter board that is malfunctioning -- this is a high voltage DC->AC transformer whose only role is to power the lcd's CCFL (i.e. its backlight, Cold Cathode Fluorescence Light).

unforunately i dont have a flashlight in the house but will be sure to check it out before returning to the forum

Bluehair wrote:Finally, if you play music in loop mode, does it continue to play normally when the "blackout" happens?

im not exactly sure what you mean by loop mode but if i am playing music via wmp or winamp the sound will glitch and stop during the blackout and sound resumes shortly after the display returns

thanks again - i will be back tomorrow evening with my findings from the VGA display and flashlight test

Iain

makdaddy

Postby makdaddy » Tue Mar 06, 2007 22:58

Hi

I tested the laptop with a monitor attached via dvi/vga converter, the fault followed through onto the external display.

i guess this means its not the inverter board yes ?

Bluehair

Postby Bluehair » Thu Mar 08, 2007 18:23

Sorry for the delay, I needed to replace the audio board of my 3438 ... My sound issues are gone at long last.

This cannot be the inverter indeed, and most likely your screen is fine. The problem probably comes from your mainboard or your graphics card but given what you said in your first post i.e. that you occasionally noticed some discolored pixels during the boot, I would tend to think that this is the graphics card.

At this point, I think you have no choice but taking your laptop to a repair shop for at least making a diagnostic. If this is it however, you might be disconcerted by the price if it needed to be replaced... Alternatively, there is the website MXM-Upgrade which sells several GeForce Go boards (7600 and 7900) that are compatible with the 3438 and for about half the price of a 6800 from Fujitsu-Siemens.

That's all I can do I'm afraid :/

makdaddy

Re:

Postby makdaddy » Tue Mar 13, 2007 20:05

Bluehair wrote:Alternatively, there is the website MXM-Upgrade which sells several GeForce Go boards (7600 and 7900) that are compatible with the 3438 and for about half the price of a 6800 from Fujitsu-Siemens.

That's all I can do I'm afraid :/

thanks so much for your help bluehair

so the replacement boards 7600 & 7900 are 300 - 400 Euro

do FSC really charge 700-800 Euro to replace a 6800go ? jeezus !

Return to “AMILO Notebook”