FSC Amilo XA 3530 fan control kernel module

Moderator: ModTeam

peking-ente
Product(s): FSC Amilo XA 3530

FSC Amilo XA 3530 fan control kernel module

Postby peking-ente » Mon Sep 19, 2011 21:25

First off, I found it difficult to make my fan work on my laptop with Linux. The fan was always on. At some point I found it very disturbing. Second, I've found the fan power switch in the embedded controller (register 0x93, bit 2^4 is the off-button, bit 2^2 is the on-button) but I didn't found how to control the fan speed. And I wanted like stone age to make a kernel module and thank to the internet I decided to build a kernel module. The fan kernel module and it controls can be modified by /dev/fanctl (cat /dev/fanctl). Please note that it can only control the power switch not the speed itself, but when the laptop is idle at 550 Mhz, the kernel module cannot harm the device. The module polls the temperature every 10 second and when the temperature goes beyond 85°C it switch on the fan. The module has a built-in hysterese, that means once the fan is on it turns 2x ( 20 second ) times longer then needed. That is to cool down the cpu. The fan speed RPM control is just a wild guess and it's taken from the internet.

Commands for the kernel module:

"O" = fan on
"X" = fan off
"A" = fan software control
"D" = fan user/hardware control

Here is the software definition of the fan software control:

/* Define non-numeric command characters */
#define FAN_ON_CHAR 'O'
#define FAN_OFF_CHAR 'X'
#define FAN_AUTO_CHAR 'A'
#define FAN_DEFAULT_CHAR 'D'
#define FAN_LOOP 10
#define FAN_JIFFIES_MS 10
#define FAN_UPTHRESHOLD_TEMP 85

How to install: Download the files in the link to a folder then run make and insmod fscxa3650fan.ko. Check the fan status with cat /dev/fanctl.

Enjoy a silent laptop and take care!

Download: http://bit.ly/o6otCt

fan-1.png
fan-1.png (8.36 KiB) Viewed 9804 times
fan-2.png
fan-2.png (7.8 KiB) Viewed 9804 times
fan-3.png
fan-3.png (8.02 KiB) Viewed 9804 times

EDIT: Upps, I have a FSC Amilo XA 3530 not 3650. I change the name later.

peking-ente
Product(s): FSC Amilo XA 3530

Re: FSC Amilo XA 3530 fan control kernel module

Postby peking-ente » Sun Nov 06, 2011 22:29

Ich habe ein Windows-Version geschrieben: http://www.chihoang.de/code-schnipsel/a ... -3530.html.

Return to “AMILO Notebook”