Amilo Li3710 and loading/booting an OS on a USB external HDD

Moderator: ModTeam

seanmckinney
Product(s): FUJITSU-SIEMENS - Li 3710

Amilo Li3710 and loading/booting an OS on a USB external HDD

Postby seanmckinney » Fri Jan 28, 2011 13:59

So far I am VERY pleased with my laptop, to the point where I tend to use it in preference to my PC. However there is one thing I am still trying to do and can't, I want to install an OS on an external HDD and occasionally boot the external OS rather than one of the 'internal' OS's (Linux and MS-Vista).
Because I have two OS's on the internal HDD, Fujitsu-Siemens kindly sent me the Vista cd/DVD etc but this can not be used to install vista on an external HDD. If I put the 'external HDD' in the laptop and install the OS and then return the HDD's to their original locations I can get the laptop to start booting from the 'external vista' (via setting the BIOS to boot USB:HDD-blah-blah-blah before booting the internal HDD) but the boot crashes.
If booting from the internal HDD the boot loader is the linux/unix thing "GRUB" and from memory that will not accept booting off an external HDD though there is something I want to try before say that is definite.

I don't see why booting an external OS should be impossible, otherwise why would the option be available in BIOS.

So any help or suggestions would be welcome.

Thank you.

Sean McKinney

Return to “AMILO Notebook”