TX150S6 aufrüsten

PRIMERGY, PRIMEPower

Moderator: ModTeam

macgyver2080
Product(s): Primergy TX150S6

TX150S6 aufrüsten

Postby macgyver2080 » Sun May 03, 2009 1:01

Hi,

dank http://www.amazon.de/Fujitsu-Siemens-Primergy-TX150S6-XUPE3110/dp/B001A1O6K8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=ce-de&qid=1241307214&sr=8-1 kam der server auch im Privatbereich an.
Da diese Version etwas mager ausgestattet ist möchte aufrüsten, finde jedoch nirgendwo eine hardware Kompatibilitätsliste oder zumindest Spezifikationen für Speicher und Festplatten. Im Erfahrungsbericht in einem anderen Forum wurde berichtet dass es Probleme mit "neutralen" Komponenten gäbe. Enthält das BIOS womöglich code der nur FSC Komponenten akzeptiert?
btw. ich beabsichtige Open Solaris darauf zu bringen und komme daher um eine Aufrüstung nicht herum.

Gruß

JM

RHAF
Product(s): Lifebook
Esprimo
Primergy
Storage
Netapp

Re: TX150S6 aufrüsten

Postby RHAF » Mon May 11, 2009 13:46

Hello macgyver2080,

Most Primergy servers hold a code which enforces the us of Fujitsu supported memory.
The reason is that a lot of work is put into functional testing an quality control. Everything has to work exactly right to provide a stable platform for companies and institutions to run their most important systems on.
Remember, Primergy's are designed and built for demanding long term 24h workperiods.

Having said that I have tried using Kingston memory in a Primergy and it does work in general. The system indicates that non certified memory is being used during startup. And it keeps on sending this message when Serverview server management software is installed. Also the Error-LED lights up on the front of the unit.

Regards

macgyver2080

Postby macgyver2080 » Mon May 11, 2009 16:50

i feared noone was dealing with that kind of issue - thanks for your response.

I agree with you that only high quality components should be used in that kind of server - so i planned for quality products from wellknown manufacturers.
On the other side it is easy to imagine that FSC could strictly deny in their BIOS the use of any non FSC components to just generate business :wink: (beside the quality aspect)

1) is it possible to display memory SPD in the BIOS?
2) does the system complain about non FSC HDD? I want to use the 24*7 versions of 3,5" WD green 1TB plus one SSD

regards

RHAF
Esprimo
Primergy
Storage
Netapp

Postby RHAF » Mon May 11, 2009 17:39

macgyver2080 wrote:On the other side it is easy to imagine that FSC could strictly deny in their BIOS the use of any non FSC components to just generate business

Yes you could think so... but I really don't think so with what I know from the way things work internally.
AIso, I must admit that from what I see in general, most companies buying servers buy units which address the required specs for the lifetime of the server. Most systems are slightly over-specd when they are configured as customers can not always provide the sizing details required and so usually the servers are not given extra memory. Same goes for CPU's. You hardly see a two CPU motherboard sold with one CPU, being upgraded with a second one.
By the time a system might need an upgrade due to it's new task or growth in the company resulting in a higher workload, companies in general choose to buy a new up-to-date system and allocate to "older" unit for alternative tasks or sell it.

RHAF wrote:1) is it possible to display memory SPD in the BIOS?

Not that I know of. What is the reason you would like to know this info? Because perhaps you can gain the required info in a different way.

RHAF wrote:2) does the system complain about non FSC HDD? I want to use the 24*7 versions of 3,5" WD green 1TB plus one SSD

I know SSD are being tested and that there are systems coming out which are already certified.
The question is what is your reason for requiring SSD? SSD is still an expensive alternative for traditional HD's.
Also although some SSD have a high Read speed, their write speed lacks. Please can you tell us what your reasoning is for SSD's?

Concerning the 3.5" WD's, I can only conclude that WD in general produces good disks. But again, what is your reason for not choosing the standard available and certified 1TB disks from the Primergy pricelist? Is it just price or do you have a different reason?

I would look at it from the point of view that a server is a very very important component within an organisation. A large part of the workforce will make use of this component, be it used for Email, Dbase or so. It becomes even more important if it is to be a host system in a virtual environment running various host systems. Ask yourself this....if this server is down for an hour, what is the cost to the company. What is the cost if it is down for half a day, a day or a few days. The question then is, is the use of none certified components worth this risk?

We've seen enough examples of companies trying to save a few thousand euro's to even a few hundred, only to have intermittend failures which took hours if not days to solve.

As I have never seen anyone add a non-certified disk, I can not answer your question. My gut feeling is that it will accept the disk, but that it will indicate it as being "non-primergy".

With regards.

macgyver2080

Postby macgyver2080 » Tue May 12, 2009 0:27

to answer some of your questions i give you some background info to my thoughts around the TX150.

i am looking for a hardware plattform to run an open solaris based NAS. I choose open solaris since ZFS seems to be the best filesystem avaiable today and i worked with solaris some years ago.
I came across the TX150 by searching for "server" at amazon.com. It uses the components i was looking for, is on the HCL for open solaris and achieved a great result in SPECpower_ssj2008.
Unfortunately is not easy to buy that kind of hardware as private person. There is almost no dealer offering an on demand configuration for private customers, and if you find one the price is insane.
So I had the idea to buy a special offer like http://www.planet4one.de/planet/wbc.php?sid=8735effa7b&pid=172705&tpl=produktdetail.html and upgrade it myself to the desired configuration.
2x2GB RAM
2*1TB WD green 24*7 for the data
1 SSD for the OS

In order for this solution to work the TS150's BIOS must accept these components.

regards

RHAF
Esprimo
Primergy
Storage
Netapp

Postby RHAF » Tue May 12, 2009 9:15

Having a few Primergy models at home too, I understand your issues.
Unfortunately this means that I also know that much that you want to do will be hit-and-miss or trail-and-error.

There is forinstance somebody else who wrote a message in this forum about the problems he has after adding SSD's to a server. He can format them and set them up correctly, but when they were used in a practical situation they gave continues read errors due to timing problems more than likely.

I will ask around whether anybody has any ideas.
Sorry that we can not be more helpfull at this moment.

But please let us know how you are advancing.

With regards.

macgyver2080

Postby macgyver2080 » Tue May 12, 2009 14:49

to sum up the information I have right now:

RAM: kingston ECC memory appears to work, but gives anoying messages and a "misleading" LED on
-> this is ok for me
HDD: there is currently no information available about the usability of non Primergy drives
-> this is my real concern
SSD: this is basically an area of research
-> It would be great to know a device that has proved to work. I could do some reasearch/testing myself and use the SSD in another box if I don't achieve stable operation in the TX150.

The only point that really prevents me from moving on is the HDD. It would be great if you could find some information on that issue

regards and thanks

RHAF
Esprimo
Primergy
Storage
Netapp

Postby RHAF » Tue May 12, 2009 16:08

Well I do not think we will have any info about the use of non-certified disks.
In general I would think that it will give not innitial problem. The issues would be more related to the use within raid environments in my oppinion.

I had a quick look, but at this moment I know only of SSD drive availability for certain notebooks and workstation systems.

I will keep an eye on things and try to let you know of any developments.

With regards.

macgyver2080

Postby macgyver2080 » Tue May 12, 2009 19:58

since i plan to not use hardware RAID but solaris ZFS (software) RAID-1 or RAID-Z, I don't really expect RAID issues - would you agree?

so it looks like I could take the risk and go for such a special offer TX150 S6, and upgrade memory and HDD

regards

Return to “Server Produkte”