AMILO Li1818 not charging

AMILO Desktop L, AMILO Desktop P, AMILO Desktop S

Moderator: ModTeam

Keithuk
Product(s): Fujitsu-Siemens AMILO Li1818

AMILO Li1818 not charging

Postby Keithuk » Tue Nov 30, 2010 21:51

Hi guys.

First post on here so be gentle. I've searched the forum for this problem but nothing comes back.

I have a Fujitsu-Siemens AMILO Li1818 which I bought from a friend at work 1 year ago. Everything has been working ok for the past year until a few days ago. I generally turn the laptop on so its starting up with I sort the charger and leads out. A few days ago I pressed the start button but nothing happened I plugged in the mains and pressed the start again and it would start. I noticed if you check the charging it says 0% available, (plugged in not charging). I checked the charger which is 20v DC and it showed 19.8v for a split second then open circuit. I checked it a few times and it showed the same reading. Now it must be getting a feed from the mains because if you unplug it goes dead. I have a new 12v charger that I bought so I could use it in the car and that shows the same result (plugged in not charging).

I tried to unscrew all the screws in the base so I could check for bad connection but I couldn't get the bottom off without forcing it. Now the battery isn't brilliant it used to run for 15-20 minutes before it shut down without charge. Does anyone know of any checks or solutions for this problem. I don't mined buying a new battery if that will cure the problem. I'm not sure how these charging systems work I'm only used to vehicle charging systems. Even if a vehicle battery is duff it will still try and charge it.

I appreciate any help you can give me. :wink:

Cheers, Keith.
Fujitsu-Siemens AMILO Li1818 running Vista Home Premium 32bit

sabrex
Product(s): Various

Re: AMILO Li1818 not charging

Postby sabrex » Wed Dec 08, 2010 13:29

Hi Keith.

A battery is filled with 3 or 6 cells and generaly will start to degrade the more charges you give it. The more cells in your battery the longer you have ie 6 cell 2:20 hrs battery runtime. (dependent on windows PMS settings and apps obviously)
so if powered on mains alot the CELLS will first learn this charge cycle then die and not be able to retain its charge. degrading gradualy is usualy the norm for batteries just like a mobile phone.

15-20 minutes is sounding like it was on the way out batteries usualy faulty after 1 year in my experience. A new battery for unit can be obtained via ACAL 01925 251608 not sure on cost though.

plugged in not charging message was an inherent problem in vista so may be worth following this instruction:
Click Start and type device in the search field, then select Device Manager .
Expand the Batteries category.
Under the Batteries category, right-click the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listing, and select Uninstall .
WARNING: Do not remove the Microsoft AC Adapter driver or any other ACPI compliant driver.
On the Device Manager taskbar, click Scan for hardware changes .
Alternately, select Action > Scan for hardware changes .
Windows will scan your computer for hardware that doesn't have drivers installed, and will install the drivers needed to manage your battery's power. The notebook should now indicate that the battery is charging.

dont know if any of this helps keith.....

Keithuk

Postby Keithuk » Thu Dec 09, 2010 0:56

Thank you for replying sabrex.

Uninstalling Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery and scanning for new hardware did the trick it now charges again. It may have been charging before as it says the battery is 100% but if you unplugged the power it would die and shut down.

While I've been waiting for a reply I decided to buy a new battery because its the original which is 5 years old. Now batteries very in price from £23 to £85. Now I know you only get what you pay for but I wasn't risking £85 just to see if its the battery so I've bought the £23 one. What are you're views on battery prices?

So you are saying the more you have it on charge the more chance of it not retaining the charge? So when this new battery comes and I charge it up are you saying remove from mains and let the battery get used? The thing is when it runs of the battery the screen goes dimmer probaly to save the battery power which I don't like thats one reason its always plugged in. Some laptops have a battery discharge switch but mine doesn't in the sticky (which I can't find at the moment) on here it talks about using an energy wire do you know what that means?

Now its very strange this happend as there has been no hardware or software update so why did it say plugged in not charging?

Well it appears its another glitch of Vista so thats another one to add to the list.

Thank you very much you you're help sabrex.

Cheers. :wink:

sabrex
Product(s): Various

Postby sabrex » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:51

No problem :mrgreen:

Im no Battary expert but this site seems to knock it on the head what I was trying to explain!
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

scroll down to Simple Guidelines

also you can use the unit without the battery in just off the mains - alot of people dont think they can.

Keithuk

Postby Keithuk » Tue Feb 01, 2011 20:51

Hi guys.

I'm still having problems with this battery. After sebrex's tip it started charging again. I ordered a new battery of eBay before Christmas I found 14.8v battery 10 available £22.99 in China. I ordered it and waited for it to be delivered. Obviously the Christmas post will slow things down so after Christmas I asked the seller when I could expect it? He said if you don't receive it within 45 days let me know and he will give me a refund. I waited till mid January and it still didn't arrive I emailed him a couple of times but he never replied so I put a complaint in eBay about it one week later he refunded the money.

Now I've search eBay since for a battery but they keep showing 10.8v or 11.1v but no 14.8v. How can they make a laptop and have different voltage batteries? I've search the web for 14.8v batteries and they are extorsionate prices £70 plus. I only paid £50 for the laptop.

Does anyone know where I can get a 14.8v battery at a reasonable price?

Any help would be appreciated.

Keithuk

Postby Keithuk » Tue Mar 22, 2011 15:33

I've searched eBay yet again for this battery but nothing shows up up. There are batteries that advertise they are compatible with this laptop 14.8V BATTERY For ADVENT 7109B L51-4S2000-G1L1 ('6831) after I ordered one and it arrived it wouldn't fit so I had another refund.

There are quite a few batteries on there that say they are compatible so I asked them are you sure its compatible? They replied no its not, so why do they stated this? I'm still searching for a battery.

Keithuk

Postby Keithuk » Tue Apr 12, 2011 17:28

Update:

Well I've found a battery at last and it plugs in and charges from

http://www.laptopbattery4u.co.uk/replac ... -6851.html

Return to “AMILO Desktop”