How Reliable is Fujitsu's Technical Support?

AMILO Desktop L, AMILO Desktop P, AMILO Desktop S

Moderator: ModTeam

qwertz
Product(s): AMILO Desktop Pi 3630

How Reliable is Fujitsu's Technical Support?

Postby qwertz » Sat Jun 27, 2009 22:49

On 10 June 2009 I contacted Technical Support via online contact form to report a series of problems with my new Amilo Dektop Pi 3630. Technical Support e-mailed me an initial response with a request for additional details on 12 June, and I provided my feedback on 13 June. This was met by complete silence for a number of days, leaving me under the impression that nobody was handling my issues.

Customer number: 2302195194
Reference number: 2327558413
Case number: 2327568186/1/2341023

qwertz

[Pi 3630] How Reliable is Fujitsu's Technical Support?

Postby qwertz » Sat Jun 27, 2009 22:51

After my e-mailing two reminders, Technical Support provided a status update on 18 June. I called Technical Support on 19 June and was assisted in a friendly and competent way. During the conversation, Technical Support suggested to send me a graphics card that I should replace myself - if that didn't help, Fujitsu would pick up my PC for repair.

The problems I am facing, by the way are the following: 1. When the BIOS is set to the "Optimized Defaults" mode, the boot process freezes at random; 2. one of the six USB ports on the back panel of the PC has gone dead; 3. it is impossible to operate my modem and my external hard disk simultaneously; 4. the external hard disk crashes under heavy activity.

qwertz

Postby qwertz » Sat Jun 27, 2009 22:53

Fujitsu's service provider was attempting to deliver the graphics card on 22 June (I was absent that day) and then again on 24 June. However, the messenger refused to surrender the graphics card since he had instructions to swap it against my PC - which obviously didn't make sense. I called Technical Support a few minutes later and offered to pick up the graphics card at the courier's depot against a security. Technical Support promised to check and to report back to me by the following day. It's now three days later, and nobody has reverted. I have waited for a solution for seventeen days and have gotten nowhere. Technical Support conveys an image of disorganisation - nobody appears to monitor outstanding queries, let alone assume ownership.

qwertz

Postby qwertz » Sat Jul 11, 2009 20:41

I sent another reminder on 28 June and received a voice mail response on the following day. When I called back, Technical Support told me that – contrary to other markets where this is possible – Fujitsu cannot deliver replacement parts in the country where I live without recovering the original part. We thus agreed that Fujitsu’s service provider would pick up my computer for repair. The repair, I was told, would take ten to fifteen days.

My computer was picked up on 30 June and, to my positive surprise, I received it back already six days later, i.e. much earlier than promised. A service report attached to the computer confirmed that the graphics card had been replaced and that a series of tests had been completed. When I tested the computer myself, I determined that problems 2. (dead USB port) and 3. (simultaneous operation of my modem and of my external hard disk) had been resolved. Problem 4. was partly resolved (the external hard disk now crashes much less frequently than before) while problem 1. (the boot process freezes at random when the BIOS is set to the “Optimized Defaults” mode) had not been resolved at all. In addition, two new problems had appeared: the computer now produces a small, but annoying rattling sound; when reaching its sleep mode limit, the computer does not go into sleep mode, but the fan starts operating at high speed and the computer becomes totally unresponsive.

I reported my test results back to Technical Support on 7 July and asked for advice. In the absence of any feedback on the following day, I called Technical Support during the morning hours of 9 July. During the phone call, I reminded the service representative of Technical Support’s earlier suspicion that my computer’s motherboard might be faulty and that it might need to be repaired or replaced after the replacement of the graphics card. Following my explanations, the service representative asked me to reinstall the operating system. If necessary, Fujitsu would repair or replace the motherboard afterwards. I replied that I was reluctant to reinstall the operating system because that would require me to spend days of downloading, reinstalling and customising a number of applications that I have installed since I bought the computer three months ago. (I have a slow 56K Internet connection.)

Later on 9 July, Technical Support e-mailed me a link to Fujitsu’s DIFS diagnostics tool and asked me to burn it to a CD and to run a full test of my computer. I downloaded the tool on the same day, burnt it to a DVD and booted my computer from the DVD. The computer loaded the diagnostics tool, but the tool got stuck at the startup screen (“DIFS is starting – Inspecting inventory ... please wait a moment ... > General Inspection ...”). I tried four or five times, waited for twenty minutes once, but nothing else happened. All that time, the computer’s fan was running at full speed. I reported the unsuccessful diagnostics results to Technical Support on the same day.

Technical Support e-mailed me an answer on 10 July, asking me to reinstall my operating system (Windows Vista) in order to ascertain that the problems that I am experiencing are not caused by the operating system or by third party software. I have today taken my computer back to the dealer from whom I bought it three months ago. I believe that evidence (the boot process freezes before the operating system is loaded; the boot process freezes at random while it completes normally at other times; the DIFS tool freezes when neither my operating system nor any third party software is running) is pointing towards the existence of a hardware-related problem rather than towards a software issue. My dealer has kindly agreed to inspect the PC and to deliver a second opinion before proceeding any further.

qwertz

Postby qwertz » Sun Aug 23, 2009 19:54

After an inspection and without offering a clear opinion, the dealer agreed during the week of 13 July 2009 to return the computer to Fujitsu’s service provider. It was understood that the operating system should only be reinstalled if necessary. I received the computer back on 10 August 2009. In the absence of a service report attached by Fujitsu’s service provider, the dealer told me that the computer’s motherboard had been replaced, but no further details were available. When I arrived back home, I found out that my English version of Vista had been replaced with a different language version and all my third-party applications had disappeared.

I thus restored the English version of Vista with my Fujitsu Siemens Computers Recovery disks. Thereafter, I started to redownload and to reinstall my third-party applications (Firefox, Thunderbird, Easeus Partition Master, AVG Free, Open Office – still remaining to be installed), and the computer worked fine from 10 to 15 August: it no longer produced the annoying rattling sound; there were no more boot freezes; the PC went into sleep mode without protest. On 16 August, without prior warning, trouble resurfaced: the boot process resumed its random freezing behaviour as before (instead of loading Windows Vista, the computer freezes after the “Checking NVRAM..” message and the Microsoft Windows load bar doesn’t appear); at random again and instead of falling into sleep mode, the computer goes to the same window as the one that appears when one hits Ctrl-Alt-Delete, locking itself up (one needs to key in the user’s password in order to reaccess the computer) but without falling asleep. Boot freezing only occurs when the BIOS is set to the “Optimized Defaults” mode (11 out of 20 times on 17 August; 13 out of 20 times on 20 August). When the BIOS is set to the “Fail-Safe Defaults” mode, the computer always starts normally.

When I recontacted my dealer, he explained that Fujitsu would refuse to replace the computer with a new one before a minimum three repairs would eventually prove to be unsuccessful. Once agreement on a replacement would be reached, the cost of the license for Windows Vista would need to be absorbed by the dealer. He recommended I should not simply use the computer with the BIOS set to the “Fail-Safe Defaults” mode, suggesting that I should restore Windows Vista one more time to see if the problems would disappear. Depending on the result, my dealer would then return the computer to Fujitsu for a third repair attempt, or else he would add a few RAM sticks to see if that would resolve the problems permanently.

I restored the factory default settings and held my breath... The computer worked fine after the restore: no more boot freezes, no more trouble when it is time to put it to bed. That said, I noticed that Vista’s Advanced Tools Event Log has generated 88 (warning/critical/error) events as a result of my restoring and testing the operating system on 20 August 2009. In addition, Vista displayed a “Safely Remove Hardware” icon (USB Mass Storage Device at Port #9, Hub #2 allocated to the computer’s memory card slots) although I didn’t use the slots after the restore and there was nothing to remove from them. On 21 August I took the computer back to the dealer for another inspection and I am awaiting the verdict now.

So how reliable is Fujitsu’s Technical Support? I my opinion the team’s performance has been lacklustre at best:

* Technical Support’s online contact form comes along with the statement that the team “aim to respond within one working day”, claiming that “it may still be necessary to complete further diagnostics with the helpdesk team who will respond to you within one working day”. There have been too many instances in my case where the one-day time frame has been exceeded.

* The team’s performance seems to be hampered by bad coordination. In one instance, my interlocutor had relied on a “2nd line department” to contact me. That contact never took place and I had to remind the help desk that I was still awaiting an answer.

* The help desk was mixing up replacement policies for spare parts between several markets.

* The help desk’s technical knowledge appears to be limited:
° Version 2 of the DIFS diagnostics tool that Technical Support asked me to use on 9 July 2009 never worked on my computer. My dealer told me that version 2 of the tool is not meant to be used on my Amilo Pi 3630 and that version 3 is the right version for my computer.
° Except for one early suspicion that my problems may have been due to a faulty graphics card and/or motherboard, Technical Support never offered any specific technical opinion. Rather than providing concrete technical advice, the help desk appears to act as a mere intermediary between Fujitsu’s service provider (the repair agent) and the end user.

* In July Technical Support insisted that I need to reinstall the computer’s operating system before they could accept a second repair order. The reason invoked was that they needed to ensure the problems are not caused by the operating system or by third party software.
Meanwhile, the computer’s graphics card and the motherboard have been exchanged, but the computer still presented booting problems a few days after an initial restore of the operating system. Now let’s remember that booting only froze when the BIOS was set to the “Optimized Defaults” mode (and not when it was set to the “Fail-Safe Defaults” mode), and even when freezing occurred it did not happen every time, but at random every second time or so. Let’s also remember that Windows Vista generated a significant number of (warning/critical/error) events just after restoring it a second time and, in addition, the computer’s memory card slots trigger a meaningless removal message. I am using standard peripherals (56K modem, printer, two external hard drives) and no unusual third-party software, and the six USB ports on the computer’s back panel are in use. – Could it thus be that, with a growing size of the computer’s operating system, its motherboard (MS-7504VP-PV) and the BIOS (AMI V3.0L) simply can’t cope with the strain? Knowing that 4 GB of RAM (i.e the upper limit that can be used by the 32-bit version of Vista Home Premium) is already installed, could the addition of more RAM solve the recurring problems? Or could there be a more fundamental problem with the motherboard’s design and/or the BIOS settings?

I bought my Pi 3630 four and a half months ago, and it has been out for repair or inspection three times during a total five weeks by now. Going forward, I have decided to handle the matter straight with my dealer instead of contacting Fujitsu’s Technical Support team.

qwertz

Postby qwertz » Sat Aug 29, 2009 19:19

On 25 August 2009 the dealer left me a voice mail to advise that my computer was having startup problems again and that he was returning it to Fujitsu.

Meanwhile I have noticed a posting on a German gamers forum claiming that an internal fault of the MS-7504VP-PV motherboard's NVIDIA chip as well as a 32bit matrix error were causing load and save crashes on the author's computer (cf. posting 53 on
http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/sh ... ?p=9692074) . This would corroborate the suspicion that the MS-7504VP-PV motherboard may be faulty, and it might also explain the recurring problems that I am experiencing with my own computer.

May I ask Alexander or one of the other moderators to comment the preceding paragraph, please?
Last edited by qwertz on Sun Aug 30, 2009 19:04, edited 1 time in total.

Alexander FTS
Product(s): AMILO M6450
AMILO Xi 2528
LIFEBOOK S7210

Re: How Reliable is Fujitsu's Technical Support?

Postby Alexander FTS » Sat Aug 29, 2009 19:52

Hi,

I don´t know any customer who has the same issue with his Pi 3630. So I think a general problem does not exist.

Regards,
Alex
We make sure!

qwertz

Postby qwertz » Fri Sep 18, 2009 20:59

I received the computer back on 16 September 2009. My dealer's repair order stated that the computer's motherboard had been replaced (by Fujitsu's service provider). The graphics card would thus have been replaced once within five and a half months, and the motherboard twice. This time the computer was returned with its operating system and third party applications as they had been restored on 20 August 2009.

I tested the computer's start behaviour - it worked fine. I then tested the sleep function - the computer went to sleep at the defined interval. When I awakened the computer from sleep, it appeared to work fine, but became unresponsive a few seconds later and displayed an Explorer.exe application error. Windows then shut down and a blue screen appeared. The screen's message said something along the following lines: “A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer (...) Kernel data in-page error (...)”. The computer then rebooted automatically and signalled that “Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown (...) Problem event name: BlueScreen (...)”. This occurred while I had only the keyboard, the mouse and my CRT screen connected to the computer.

I reattempted several times to send the computer to sleep and to awaken it. The blue screen appeared one more time during awakening. At other times, the awakening was followed by an error message advising that there was a “Failure – Security Options” and that the “Logon process has failed to create the security options dialog”. This was either accompanied by the computer's becoming totally unresponsive (which required a manual reboot) or by an automatic reboot. In both instances, the “Resuming Windows” message appeared.

I then decided to restore the computer's factory default settings with my Fujitsu Siemens Computers Recovery disks one more time and to retest the sleep and awakening processes after the restore: the computer's erratic behaviour persisted systematically when it was supposed to awaken from sleep. At least one error message appeared during each awakening, followed by a systematic automatic reboot. The range of error messages displayed included the Explorer.exe application error, the BlueScreen event and a “wmplayer.exe Application error”: “(...) The required data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error (...)”. Windows Vista's Advanced Tools Event Log displayed a series of events under the “Standby Performance Monitor” and “Desktop Window Manager Monitoring” categories such as:

* “(...) This driver caused a delay during standby while servicing a device:
NVIDIA compatible Windows Vista Kernel mode (...)”

* “(...) This driver responded slower than expected to the resume request while servicing this device:
NVIDIA compatible Windows Vista Kernel mode (...)

* “(...) The Desktop Window Manager is experiencing heavy resource contention.
The Desktop Window Manager responsiveness has degraded (...)

* “(...) The Desktop Window Manager is experiencing heavy resource contention.
CPU resources are over-utilized (...)”

I agreed with my dealer today to return the computer to him, pending a decision on how to proceed from here. The dealer has promised to escalate the matter to Fujitsu's country sales manager.

I bought my Pi 3630 five and a half months ago. As of tomorrow it will have been out for repair or inspection four times for more than two months.

qwertz

Postby qwertz » Sun Oct 11, 2009 20:06

My dealer advised me on 25 September 2009 that Fujitsu had agreed to replace my computer with a new one. On 28 September I received an e-mail message from Fujitsu's regional Service Management team advising that the Amilo Desktop Pi3630 does not present a general problem and that there would be no problem to replace my computer with another Pi3630. The message also said that any issue or bug detected on the model would be transmitted to Fujitsu's engineers in order to find a solution, and this would be communicated through Fujitsu's web site. I was offered no explanation as to what may have caused the many issues that I had faced with my computer. Similarly, I was offered no explanation as to why Fujitsu's diagnostics tool had not identified the root cause of the problems and why the three repair attempts had failed to resolve the issues encountered.

Based on Service Management's feedback I picked up the replacement PC at my dealer's on 29 September and activated it on the following day. The computer's activation worked smoothly and none of the hardware-related problems that had arisen with the original computer occurred with the new PC during the first few days following its activation. In particular, the new computer did not freeze during booting, the sleep mode worked as it should, and the PC's awakening from sleep did not produce the problems that had occurred on the original machine. The original computer would often make a purring sound when awakening from sleep or at other times, and I suspect that the motherboard may have been damaged on such occasions. The purring sound has not occurred on the new computer so far.

All in all, it had taken sixteen weeks from the date that I reported the first problems to Fujitsu until I received a fully workable machine. I was physically deprived of the computer that I had bought in April 2009 during ten weeks. During the remaining six weeks that I actually had the PC in my possession I spent many hours trying to figure out what was happening and restored Windows Vista three times.

While the replacement computer worked smoothly during the first few days after its activation, Windows Vista shut down unexpectedly on 10 October 2009 whilst I was connected to the web with my 56K modem. The shutdown was briefly accompanied by the blue screen that had already appeared on the original computer, along with the same type of message encountered there: “A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer (...)”. Windows rebooted automatically and displayed the following error message:

“Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown (…) Problem signature: Problem Event Name: BlueScreen OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3 Locale ID: 2057 Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 10d
BCP1: 00000007
BCP2: 7725BD18
BCP3: 88DA42E0
BCP4: 88DA2668
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1
Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini101009-01.dmp
C:\Users\[my user name]\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-139308-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\[my user name]\AppData\Local\Temp\WER53D9.tmp.version.txt (...)”

Although the replacement computer did not produce any noticeable failure before the BlueScreen event, Windows Vista's Event Log (Control Panel, System and Maintenance, Performance Information and Tools, Advanced Tools, View performance details in Event log) had started recording a high number of Operational Events relating to the PC's boot, shutdown, standby and system performance right after its activation. The log includes a number of events relating to the PC's standby performance or to its behaviour when awakening from sleep:

* Event 300 (Error) is recorded regularly, i.e. each time that the computer awakens from sleep: “Windows has resumed from standby” is followed by details on the Standby Duration, the Standby Incident Time, the Resume Duration, the Resume Incident Time, the IsDegradation etc.

* Event 351 (Critical) is occurring less frequently and relates to two different drivers: “This driver responded slower than expected to the resume request while servicing this device: Driver File Name: \Driver\ACPI Driver Friendly Name: ACPI Driver for NT Driver Version: 6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205) (…) Device Name: ACPI\PNP0C0C\aa Device Friendly Name: ACPI Power Button (...)” and “This driver responded slower than expected to the resume request while servicing this device: Driver File Name: \Driver\usbohci Driver Friendly Name: OHCI USB Miniport Driver Driver Version: 6.0.6000.18000 (longhorn_rtm.080118-1840) (…) Device Name: PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_07FE&SUBSYS_75041462&REV_A1\3&267a616a&0&20 Device Friendly Name: Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller (...)”.

* Event 302 (Warning or Error) is occurring irregularly and implicates the NVIDIA-compatible Windows Vista Kernel Mode that had already generated trouble on the original computer: “This driver caused a delay during standby while servicing a device: Driver File Name: \Driver\nvlddmkm Driver Friendly Name: NVIDIA Compatible Windows Vista Kernel Mode Driver, Version 175.33 Driver Version: 7.15.11.7533 (…) Device Name: PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0622&SUBSYS_9400174B&REV_A1\4&cabb358&0&0058 Device Friendly Name: NVIDIA GeForce9600 GT (...)”

It may be noteworthy to report that the computer's awakening from sleep is sometimes, but not always, accompanied by the sound of a chime (the same as the one that would typically occur when one connects or unplugs a USB device to/from the computer).

I reported the Operational Events that had occurred during the new computer's initial six days of operation to Fujitsu's regional Service Management team on 4 October 2009 and attached a full copy of the Operational Event Log. As I suspect that the events recorded might be indicative of a general hardware-related problem with the particular model of the Amilo Desktop Pi 3630 that I own, I suggested that Service Management might wish to transmit the log to Fujitsu's engineers for analysis. Service Management advised on 5 October 2009 that I should report the matter by e-mail to Fujitsu's technicians and engineers at the Technical Support address in order to obtain an answer. I sent the suggested e-mail on the same day and reattached the Operational Event Log, but have not received an answer.

Return to “AMILO Desktop”