Computer tries to start

SCALEO E, SCALEO H, SCALEO X, SCALEO L, SCALEO P

Moderator: ModTeam

Lee
Product(s): Scaleo Pi2664 Desktop

Computer tries to start

Postby Lee » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:11

Hi
My computer tries to start then all the power goes off. Most of the time it does not get to the windows startup screen. The fan comes on it revs up then before we get through the bios stage it turns itself off again. Sometimes it can take upto 4 attempts to get it to startup. Once it does get to the windows screen it is fine. Has anyone any ideas as to why?

Rigel
Product(s): AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 2.59 Ghz
2.00 GB RAM
Nvidia GT430 Video Card
Western Digital SATA 160 GB HDD
NEC IDE DVD R-RW
Windows XP SP3

Re: Computer tries to start

Postby Rigel » Mon Oct 15, 2012 17:26

PSU (power supply unit) or cable failure? I experienced a slightly similar problem when my scaleo p would freeze randomly at startup, then boot at other times (but never shut down as in your case). Try changing the PSU and see if there's any difference.
In my case, I juggled some of my RAM for a few minutes and, surprisingly, my scaleo p started working again. It may seem odd, but try to move (or remove) a couple of RAM cards.

Lee

Postby Lee » Wed Oct 17, 2012 22:20

Further to above I tried the removing ram but that did not work. I have had another instance where the computer did not start first time took two goes symptoms as my first post. Then after around 15 minutes half way thriough an e-mail!!! the computer went off but did not completely power off. The Blue start light was still lit, the green light next to the card readers was still lit, the battery charger with the wireless dongle powered from the usb was still lit and also my back up portable drive also powered by the usb was also lit. After pressing the blue start button again the computer restarted to the black screen with the warning message your computer shut down unexpectedly with the safe mode or normal start options. I let it start automatically in normal mode. (I only had my wireless key board and mouse attached). I have now been on the computer for around an hour with no problems.
Does this give anyone a better idea as to what is happening?

Lee

Postby Lee » Fri Oct 19, 2012 17:27

I noticed for an earier post that a replacement graphics card was drawing more power than the factory fitted one. By replacing the power unit it overcame the problem. I also had to replace my graphics card (although it was a while ago no prob upto now?) I put in a GeForce 210 1GB PCI-E.
Would anyone know if this is the cause of my problem?

Lee

Postby Lee » Wed Oct 31, 2012 13:40

Hi Rigel.
Thought you would like to know that the issue was the start button on the computer case. It was faulty i ended up having the case changed. I didn't choose a direct replacement and this mean't i lost my wireless connection as the wireless on this model is integeral to the computer casing so I had to fit a new wireless card. The shop i took it to has had similar issues with this model of computer.
So anyone out there this could be useful info.
Thanks again
Lee

Return to “SCALEO”